I have a confession to make, the only reason this sauce is made from scratch is because I usually add stuff to the jarred sauce but I was out of jarred sauce- it is also hard to find a pre-made sauce without a lot of added sugar. Turns out making your own sauce isn't hard at all and I had everything on hand. I used zuchini noodles because I like the texture they have... i saute mine just barely so they are still a little crunchy. Also makes left-overs better because they aren't mush.
Homemade Spaghetti and Zoodles
- 1 lb ground Meat (I used turkey)
- 1 28-oz Can Crushed Tomatoes (watch for sugar!)
- 1 8-oz Can Tomato Sauce, no salt added
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning (or basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram)
- 2 tsp Salt
1. Spiralize the zucchini or use a peeler and cut it into ribbons. Lay on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit at least 15 min. After 15 min, saute them in a skillet over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. You want them tender but not mushy.
3. Add the salt and seasoning. Stir. Add the canned tomato products, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 20-30 min.