Monday, April 28, 2014

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce with Zucchini Noodles (zoodles!)

Break out that spiralizer again! You don't have one yet?!? Get one! They are less than 30 dollars at William Sonoma and give you a nice break from always using spaghetti squash as your substitute for pasta.
I have a confession to make, the only reason this sauce is made from scratch is because I usually add stuff to the jarred sauce but I was out of jarred sauce- it is also hard to find a pre-made sauce without a lot of added sugar. Turns out making your own sauce isn't hard at all and I had everything on hand. I used zuchini noodles because I like the texture they have... i saute mine just barely so they are still a little crunchy. Also makes left-overs better because they aren't mush.

If there is one thing I have taken to heart from talking to my mom and being a teacher is that it is important to eat with your children. I realize that the dirty kitchen and cluttered house is killing you, well it kills me, but I make the best effort I can to put my phone down, tv off, and eat with Charlie. She eats more and tries new things when I eat it with her. Like this meal for example, I didn't make a big deal about the new noodles, I put the plate in front of her, grabbed my own and started eating... she killed her whole plate! Impressive! This sauce, as with most spaghetti sauces, can be frozen and pulled out when you are in a pinch. Here's to some low-carb dining, family time, and my kid eating her veggies!




Homemade Spaghetti and Zoodles

(Printable Version)

- 6 Large Zucchini or 8-10 smaller ones
- 1 lb ground Meat (I used turkey)
- 1 28-oz Can Crushed Tomatoes (watch for sugar!)
- 1 8-oz Can Tomato Sauce, no salt added
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning (or basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram)
- 2 tsp Salt

1. Spiralize the zucchini or use a peeler and cut it into ribbons. Lay on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit at least 15 min. After 15 min, saute them in a skillet over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. You want them tender but not mushy.
2. Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent. Add the meat and cook until browned. (Drain the fat if there is too much)
3. Add the salt and seasoning. Stir. Add the canned tomato products, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 20-30 min.
4. Serve over your noodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment