Saturday, May 3, 2014

"Peanut Butter" Brownie Protein Bites


I hate my food processor. I bought it in college when I had no money, the lid is broken, it doesn't work well and it is just one of the pieces of kitchen equipment I need to replace. I avoid using it, but today I was up early making Alex's birthday "cake" and had to break it out. Alex is my sister's boyfriend. I was skeptical of him at first because she my other half and I am protective. We had a rocky start where he was acting his age and I was not acting mine, but it's a year later now and it turns out he's an ok guy. Mara can't bake so I made him the PaleOMG Raw Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars he wanted. The entire recipe is done with the food processor so since I had the stupid thing out I decided to make something else with it. Alex also liked these "bites" I made for a competition that were oatmeal, chia seeds, nut butter, etc. Yes, please call them "bites" not "balls"... at a box where words like "snatch" get thrown around the connotation can be easily changed- it would be in your best interest. :) Anyway! Since the the original "bites" weren't paleo I decided to mess around with ingredients and make a version of them. After some not so-good attempts I finally figured it out and these things are delicious- I would probably double the recipe!

I ate mine with my homemade raspberry chia seed jam (http://momasrx.blogspot.com/2014/03/raspberry-chia-seed-jam.html) I ate 3 already while I am typing this... naughty!





"Peanut Butter" Brownie Protein Bites

(Printable Version)

- 1/4 Cup (heaping) Chocolate Protein Powder
- 6 Small Dried Dates, pitted
- 1/4 Cup Sunbutter (or any other nut butter)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- Hot Water
- 1/4 Cup Mini Dairy Free Chocolate Chips

1. Fill a bowl with hot water and put the dates in to soften while you get out the rest of the ingredients. 5 min.
2. In a food processor, mix the protein powder, sunbutter, vanilla, dates (reserve water) and salt. Mix until it resembles ground beef... weird I know but that's what it looks like. :)


3. Slowly add the date water a tablespoon at a time while the processor is running on low. When the dough clumps into a big ball you are done! Remove the blade and add the chocolate chips. I do this with my hands. 

4. Roll into small balls (makes 8-10) and put on a cookie sheet in the fridge for ~15 minutes. Enjoy!


Nutrition Facts
Servings 10.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 101
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 4 g6 %
Saturated Fat 1 g3 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4 mg1 %
Sodium 54 mg2 %
Potassium 137 mg4 %
Total Carbohydrate 13 g4 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g7 %
Sugars 10 g
Protein 5 g9 %
Vitamin A0 %
Vitamin C0 %
Calcium3 %
Iron3 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment