Stuffed cabbage has been in my life for at least eight years... my ex-husband had a polish side... but I was vegetarian our entire relationship and never ate the famed "golabki."Because I am trying to make this a paleo/Whole30 recipe I have not included rice in the recipe. But the carrots are a sweet touch that make them my own. I also made my sauce with meat because more meat means more gains.
Crockpot Stuffed Cabbage
Filling:- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Pork (I used plain, not sausage)
- 2 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 Small Sweet Onion, grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced or grated
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
Grate the vegetables and mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl.
Sauce (this makes double what I used so I froze the rest)You could also just use the canned tomato products and forget the meat and cooking :)
- 1 lb Sausage, loose
- 1 Small Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 28-ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 28-oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 10 oz Can Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1. Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add in a drizzle of olive oil and cook the onions and garlic until translucent. Add the sausage and cook through.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer 20-30 minutes.
Boiling the Cabbage:1. In a large stock pot boil water. Core the cabbage and place it in the water. Within 5 minutes the outer leaves will start to soften. As they get soft peel them off, keeping them whole. I rolled as I peeled, but you could peel 12-15 leaves and then begin. If the leaves become too soft just discard them and using ones closer to the middle. This entire process took me less than 10 minutes.
Assembly:1. In a slow-cooker, add half the sauce.
2. Depending on the size of the leaves, add two tablespoon fulls of filling to the end closest to where the core was. Fold in the sides and roll it tight like a burrito. Place it fold side down in the slow cooker.
3. Continue until you are out of meat. You should have between 10-12 cabbage rolls. Top everything with the remaining sauce. Cook on LOW 6-8 hours.