I am trying to get Charlie, and me I guess, to eat more veggies so I thought if I put them in the meat and not as a separate side dish it would go better for both of us.
I used carrots and spinach in this recipe but you could easily use kale, bell peppers, zucchini, whatever you think would go well with your ground meat.
I also topped mine with Steve's Paleo Ketchup. If you don't care use regular, if you do care and don't have any omit it... it will be tasty anyway!
Hidden Veggie Bacon Meatloaf
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- 1 lb Lean Ground Meat
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 5 strips of Bacon (nitrate free), 1/2 pieces
- 2 cups Baby Spinach, chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced- 1.5 tsp Italian Seasoning (usually some combination of Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Basil)
- 1 Tbsp Liquid Aminos (or gluten-free soy sauce or gluten-free worcestershire sauce)
- 1/4 Cup Almond Flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Cup Ketchup- Paleo or sugar-free- (optional)
1. In a saute pan over medium heat, start cooking the bacon. Once the bacon has rendered some fat, add the onion, garlic and carrots. Saute until tender. Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel to drain excess fat.
2. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients (except ketchup). Add the cooled veggies and mix, with your hands, until just combined.
3. Make the meat into a "loaf" shape on a cookie sheet or use a loaf pan. Top with ketchup. Bake for 45min-1hr until cooked through.