Monday, April 14, 2014

Getting my Veggies in- Asparagus and Spinach Salad with Crispy Bacon!

I cannot wait for Michigan to decide it is finally going to be summer. It was in the 70s this weekend and now we are supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight... snow in Mid-April??? COME ON! Besides being completely sick of shoveling and snow blowing I can't wait to plant my first garden and start going to the farmer's markets again to get my veggies. Asparagus is grown a lot in Michigan so I need to start finding ways to use it more... buy local :) Stinky pee anyone? Did you know it is genetic whether or not you can smell "asparagus pee"? Everyone's pee stinks after consuming it but it is the ability to smell it, not the stink that is passed along ... good to know right? More fun facts about asparagus: the larger the diameter the tastier, it is high in Folic Acid (keeps your womanly eggs healthy!), good source of potassium, fiber, B6, Thiamin, and Vitamins A and C. It is heart-healthy containing no fat, no cholesterol and barely any natural salt.
Tonight I was in the mood for a salad but needed some protein as well... hence the hard-boiled egg and bacon. I tried this first with brussel sprouts instead of asparagus but it is better this way.  I like to eat it at room temperature so if it is leftovers in my lunch I microwave it for just a bit to loosen the dressing back up. It isn't the prettiest salad but I beg you to try it :)

Asparagus and Spinach Salad with Crispy Bacon

(Printable Version)

- 1 lb of Asparagus (usually one "bundle" at the grocery store), chopped into 1/2-1inch pieces
- 1-2 Cups Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Whole Grain Mustard (or dijon- whatever you have)
- 1 Tbsp Oil 
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 Pieces of Bacon (nitrate free)

1. Hard boil the eggs- boil water in a sauce pan and gently put the eggs in the water for 10 minutes. Remove and let them cool in cold water. When they are cool enough to handle, peel and chop them.
2. Over medium heat cook the bacon until it is really crispy. I reserved some of the bacon fat for the oil in my dressing, but if you are not doing that pour the oil out of the pan but don't clean it. Chop the bacon.
3. Add the asparagus to the pan and cook until just tender... this doesn't take long! 
4. Whisk the dressing (I do this in my tupperware I am storing it in to save on dishes) and add the bacon, eggs, asparagus and spinach and toss to combine. The hot ingredient may wilt the spinach a little but I like that. :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment