Monday, April 14, 2014

Creamy Cajun Chicken "Pasta"

Ugh. I am exhausted. I only have one kid and one job and I am struggling some days... I honestly don't know how people have more than one kid. I realize that I am only 29 and maybe one day will be the right  time to have another one but that has to be years away because I don't think I can handle it. Granted I will hopefully not be "alone" next time... but alone is in quotes because I am certainly not alone alone- my family and friends are there for me so much.  I figure in a few years, if the right person comes along, Charlie will be in school and then I will get some special bonding time with my new little one. :) Speaking of Charlie- I can't tell you how much I am enjoying her these days... so much personality and finally becoming loving with me. I was not the person that let her sleep in bed with me, I went to work full-time again when she was 12 weeks old and didn't nurse more than 3 months... so the very loving, cuddly relationship I see my friends have with their little ones was just lacking with mine... but finally FINALLY she hugs me, kisses me, and sits on my lap to cuddle without me asking. Here she is in her bear slippers, apron that matches mine, drinking coconut water. (sigh) (love) She's like my mini-me.


Since today was especially tiring even with no workout I am settling in with some recovery tea. I don't know if it helps but I really like the flavor. My mom found it at Whole Foods so now I don't have to order it online... yay!


Today's recipe is a re-write from one I thought looked tasty on Pinterest but was in no way healthy or paleo. It is a little spicy so if you are sensitive tone down the Cajun seasoning and use some paprika instead. The sauce is spicy on its own but becomes a lot more mild with the other ingredients. 
I roasted my spaghetti squash for the recipe because although my cheating microwave method is faster, it is honestly tastier roasted.

 

I started by cooking a 1lb chicken breast in a skillet over medium heat with a little oil. When the chicken was cooking I chopped up one smoked sausage I picked up from a local vender. Chorizo would be fantastic in this though. I added the smoked sausage to the pan and let the chicken cook through. While that was happening I started my sauce.


When the meat was cooked through I added the sauce to the skillet along with the spaghetti squash. So save myself a pan in the future I will move the meat combo to the tupperware I will store the completed dish in, then make the sauce in the meat skillet... hey... one less pan is one less pan!


Viola! Dinner + leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Creamy Cajun Chicken "Pasta"

(Printable Version)

- 1 lb Chicken Breast, diced
- 1 Large Sausage Link (smoked, chorizo, kielbasa,  etc.) halved and diced
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth or Stock
- 1/2 Cup Whole Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 small Spaghetti Squash
- 2.5 tsp Cajun Seasoning 
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Arrowroot Powder
- Salt and Pepper

1. Roast the spaghetti squash: Halve, remove seeds, place "face" down on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 min. When you are able to push on the skin and it gives a little it is done.
2. Add a small amount of fat or oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken followed by the sausage and cook through. Remove the meat from the pan.
3. In the same skillet, make a rue. Melt the butter and then add the arrowroot powder. Whisk until a paste is formed. Slowly add the stock while continuing to whisk so there are no lumps. 
4. Add the coconut milk and cajun seasoning. 
5. Add the meat back into the skilled and toss with the spaghetti squash. Taste for salt and pepper. A lot of cajun seasonings are heavy with salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment