Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Indian Spiced Turkey Burgers

I think this upcoming school year is going to be a little harder than others. I am sitting in a AP Environmental Conference because it is a new class that I am teaching this year and this is only day two of my four 9-hour days here and I already miss my daughter. This is not a good sign. A positive is that I am staying with my parents because they are watching Charlie for me and I am reminded how lucky I am they live so close and have such great parents. I also enjoy seeing how in love my dad is because it is like looking at how he probably was with me- again, so lucky. Anyway...FOOD!

Dilemma... you bought Garam Masala for my Tikka Masala recipe and now you only used a teaspoon and have a lot to spare. Fix? Use it with other meats and recipes! I bought this spice after coming home from Malaysia and have experimented with it in several dishes because it is nice to mix up my typical spice profile. I also want Charlie to expand her palate at a young age.

Turkey was on sale so that's the meat of choice this time, beef or lamb would also work. Watch the fat content of turkey because the very lean turkey doesn't grill well and you will need to add a fat of some kind to prevent the burgers from being too dry. I served mine over lettuce with avocado and tomato....yum!

Indian Spiced Turkey Burgers

- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Fat or oil (optional)

1. Mix everything until just combined. Form into four patties... remember to make them flatter and indent the middle because they will shrink and pop-up in the middle while cooking. 


2. Cook over medium heat, or grill, flipping once (about 5 minutes per side depending on thickness.) Since it is poultry do not undercook. :) Serve with your favorite toppings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment