Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Flaxseed Paleo Pancakes

I am loving this summer. This is the first summer in a long time that I feel like I have my shit together. I realize this is the calm before the storm because I am about to go into a crazy school year with FIVE preps to teach (this is a lot for high school)- one of them being new and an AP course- but I am going this calm while I can. I have said before that teaching is the best of both worlds for me: I get to be a stay-at-home mom for a few months and I get to be a working mom. I realize that I sacrifice getting paid for the summer months, but that financial hit is worth this time I get to spend with my daughter. Today we spent the afternoon outside with her favorite friend, Henry, and played in the pool and ate homemade popsicles (strawberries, water, honey.) On a side note, I didn't know you had to soak the popsicle makers in warm water to get them out, so in my attempt to pop them out like ice cubes I broke the mold... oops.

I have made protein pancakes before (see: If Elvis were Paleo Protein Pancakes) but I wanted something closer to the traditional version. I chose to use flaxseed because 1) when I googled "Paleo Flaxseed Pancakes" I was disappointed with the results and 2) Flaxseed is really good for you. It took me no less than 6 tries to get these how I wanted them and I am sure I will keep playing with the recipe. Charlie was my tester and she loved the very first batch so much she ate THREE adult sized pancakes plus six pieces of bacon. Her enthusiasm kept me going... the diapers afterwards not so much- see my note below about flaxseed and fiber. :) 

This is me cooling off my pan by the window and attempting to be amused that my pan was way too hot and I burned the pancakes and turned my kitchen into a cloud of smoke. The Aunt Jemima look was a coincidence. 

FLAXSEED: 

Flaxseed is starting to get more and more hype in the food world as studies come out showing its link to a decrease in heart disease, cancer, and strokes. Flaxseed has 3 main things going for it:
1) It contains omega-3 fatty acids- ALA (plant based) Omega-3s to be specific. A high intake of plant based fatty acids have been shown to reduce signs of depression, reduce inflammation associated with asthma, and possibly protect against Alzheimer's.
2) Lignans- a chemical compound found in plants- are found in really high levels in flaxseed. Lignans have been shown to a great antioxidant and regulator hormones possibly reducing chances of breast/colon/ovarian/prostate cancer.
3) Fiber. Flaxseed contains both soluble and insoluble fiber to keep things...er... "moving" through your gastrointestinal tract.

Flaxseed Paleo Pancakes

(Printable Version)

- 2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed
- 1/2 Cup Warm Water
- 1 Egg
- 1-2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3/4 Cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder

1. Mix the flaxseed and warm water together. Add the egg and maple syrup. (I do this in my measuring cup to save on dishes later)
2. Mix the remaining dry ingredients together in a bowl. As you are whisking, slowly add the liquid and continue to whisk until the batter is relatively smooth. 
3. Heat and grease a large skillet to Medium-low heat... maybe a touch closer to medium. (For this I pour the batter back into the measuring cup) Pour a little less than a 1/4 cup into the skillet per pancake. Cook until you see bubbles form on the top and around the edges--- if you are wary check the bottom for doneness- this should take about 3-5 minutes. Flip the pancake for another 3 minutes or so of cooking. Serve with your favorite toppings.
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 112
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2 g4 %
Saturated Fat 1 g5 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 31 mg10 %
Sodium 450 mg19 %
Potassium 44 mg1 %
Total Carbohydrate 21 g7 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g9 %
Sugars 4 g
Protein 2 g4 %
Vitamin A1 %
Vitamin C0 %
Calcium1 %
Iron6 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment