I know rice isn't Paleo but I ate this over rice. I needed to stretch a buck and I also have been running a lot more on top of going to the box so I wanted some extra, gluten-free carbs in my diet. I also used a skillet instead of my dutch oven... not sure why?! So use your dutch oven. :)
Chicken Tikka Masala
- 1.5 lbs Chicken (thighs or breast), cut into 1" cubes
- 2 Tbsp Oil or fat
- 3 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger, minced
- 1 Serrano Chili, minced (this is a long, green chili, if you can't find it pick another chili that's comparable, like a jalapeño) ** Take out the seeds and membrane if you are sensitive to heat
- 1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala (Usually cumin, coriander, cardamon, pepper, cloves, nutmeg)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 Cup Low-Sodium, or unsalted Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Milk, full fat
- 1 (28 oz) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- Fresh Cilantro (optional)
1. Sprinkle the Chicken with 1 tsp of Salt, the pepper, and cumin. In a dutch oven or skillet over medium-high heat, heat a tablespoon of oil of your choice and saute the chicken until browned, remove from pan.
I always remove my chicken and put it in the container I will be storing the food in later, saves on dishes!
2. Add the other tablespoon of oil and add the onion, garlic, ginger, and chili. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the Garam Masala and cinnamon and cook 1 more minute before adding the stock, milk, and tomatoes. Scrape the bottom of the pan to dislodge any "bits" and bring to a boil for about 2 minutes stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken back in. Cook another 10 minutes. Serve over cauliflower rice, brown rice, or eat it plain... enjoy!