Saturday, March 15, 2014

The BEST Bread with Mediterranean Tuna Salad

I don't know about many of you, but I really miss bread. Of all the carbs in the world that I had to give up bread is in my top two. Having a sandwich, toast in the morning, etc... ugh...I miss it. If you were wondering what the other one in my top two is it is chips... to go with chips and salsa :) Anyway, I thought I would share my favorite bread recipe. It is from Danielle Walker's Against All Grain- if you don't have the cookbook you should get it. She also has a blog: http://againstallgrain.com/.
The bread I use for everything but I thought I would share it with this recipe because I was craving a sandwich! I saw no point in trying to make my own Paleo bread because Danielle's is fantastic. I make my own cashew butter to save money (recipe below).


Here is the bread recipe: http://againstallgrain.com/2012/05/21/grain-free-white-bread-paleo-and-scd/
Today Charlie helped me make it :)


Cashew Butter 

(Makes about 1 cup)

- 2 cups of raw cashews
- 3 Tblsp Oil (I use coconut or avocado)

Directions: Place the ingredients in a blender and start on low. Increase the speed as the nuts break

down and stop occasionally to scrap the sides. I use a Vitamix and it takes me roughly 3-5 minutes from start to finish to get a smooth consistency. 


Paleo Mayo   


2/3 cup avocado oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 egg
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until thick. (Side note: I put all the ingredients in a mason jar and use an immersion blender... same result in literally less than a minute and then if you have extra you already have a container to store it :) this recipe will not use it all unless you want it super creamy- it will use most... But mayo will keep about a week in the fridge! 


Mediterranean Tuna Salad
- 2 6 oz. cans of Tuna, drained (I use chunk white in water)
- 3-4 Tblsp Mayonaise (Recipe Above)
- 2 tsp. Dijion Mustard
- 1 Shallot Finely Chopped
- 1/2 can (12oz) Artichoke Hearts, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
(Optional... 1/4 cup of diced kalamata olives)



No comments:

Post a Comment