Monday, September 1, 2014

Broccoli, Chicken and Wild Rice

I know that date-wise summer isn't over, but with the trees already changing and school starting tomorrow I feel like mine is. I finished up my final competition of the summer last weekend and I really learned a lot competing as an underdog. I entered the Pure Michigan Invitation as a Wild Card which meant I didn't fall in the top 60 in the state. Since I was decently close to the top 60 I thought it would be a good to have a training goal and signed up. Things I learned: strength is by far my biggest weakness. In all of the WODs requiring a 1 rep max I was in last place. Secondly, don't take Benadryl the night before a compeition. I was groggy all day and literally felt ill. It is odd I even thought this was a good idea considering I hardly ever take medicine- idiot Ashley. Third, the people involved in CrossFit are amazing. Even though I struggled a lot of the day there was always someone around me to tell me what I needed to hear or remind me that I was doing was supposed to be fun. My guy, Rudy, was there supporting me, my friends (Kelly, Mara, Amber, Michelle, etc.) were there, my mom and dad both came- so no matter how the day panned out I appreciated the love. 

I am usually mentally tough, but when nothing seems to be going like you thought it would it's nice to hear. Positives of the day include not finishing last and being the only wild card, and looking back at how far I have come. Six months ago I couldn't lift the weights I did or do a muscle up- always good to acknowledge how far you have come as you are preparing to move forward... new goals are posted on my board in my kitchen to look at every morning.

Maven girls doing muscle ups:



Kettle Bell Snatches... 90 of them at 35#


Henry Cavill (aka Man of Steel) was there: 


I have added rice back into my diet for a few reasons. One, I need my meat to last longer. Meat and veggies are so expensive and I can eat 1lb of flank steak in two days even with vegetables. Two, I am losing weight and that's not what I need to be doing. Paleo is great, but I am obviously burning more than I am consuming, or not eating enough. Rice is gluten free so I am still sticking to that and I don't eat it every day but I know I need to change something. This dish could easily be made without the rice but the amount of chicken and broccoli to rice ratio is skewed towards the chicken/broccoli anyway.



I used the rice in a pouch that takes 90 seconds to cook because time is limited in my life. I bought mine at Costco- it is Seeds of Change Brand. I also used a rotisserie chicken because they are my new favorite thing. Meat is cooked, delicious, and you get a lot for the $5 the chicken costs.



Sorry for the lack of a creative name

Broccoli, Chicken and Wild Rice

- 1 Pouch of Wild Rice (8.5 oz) or two cups cooked rice
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- 2 Heads of Broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 tsp Fish Sauce (or more Coconut Aminos if you don't have this)
- 2 tsp Coconut Aminos (or gluten-free soy)
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 3 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

1. Cook the broccoli. I roasted mine: Preheat the oven- while it is doing this cut the broccoli (I throw it in when I am done cutting regardless of the oven temp at the time...hehehee.) On a sheet tray spread the broccoli in an even layer and drizzle with olive oil. salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.
2. While the broccoli is cooking shred the chicken and microwave or cook the rice.
3. Toss everything together and enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment