Friday, September 19, 2014

Crockpot Sticky Chicken

I saw a post on my friend's facebook that I found interesting. It was a quote from author Laura Vanderkam, "Instead of saying, “I don’t have time,” try saying, “It’s not a priority,” and see how that feels. Often, that’s a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don’t want to. But other things are harder. Try it: “I’m not going to edit your résumé, sweetie, because it’s not a priority.” “I don’t go to the doctor because my health is not a priority.” If these phrases don’t sit well, that’s the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don’t like how we’re spending an hour, we can choose differently." 



I have chosen to make my family, fitness, and eating healthy my priorities. When I feel like one of them is not going well, I feel guilty. This week I made the effort to get out of my house and walk the 30 feet to my garage to lift, even on days I had already been to the box. Squatting (well strength in general), is a big weakness of mine and instead of avoiding it, I am choosing to work on it. The hardest steps are often the ones out the door... once you're out there just focus and get to it. It took me 30 min to warm-up, squat, strict press and do pull-ups. That's it: 30 minutes. You might be thinking, "there are a lot of other things I could do in 30 minutues" because that's not you're thing, and that's my point: if it were a priority you would do it, if it's not that's fine, but just say it, anything else is just an excuse that's disguised to make you feel better. We all have different commitments, obligations, etc. just make sure your priorities are what you want them to be.

I am still on the crockpot trend this week. It's just too darn easy and Charlie can help me throw stuff in it and push the button to turn it on. I know that chicken breasts are usually way too dry in the crockpot but these are not cooked for very long so I haven't found that to be an issue with this particular recipe. It also means you can make it after work if you get home as early as I do some days. I added a lot more pepper flakes when it was in my bowl, but the recipe, as is, was a good heat level for my peanut. She loves anything with rice right now so this was totally her thing. I know there is a lot of honey in it, but it's also a lot of chicken. Steamed broccoli and brown rice on the side made this a perfect meal for us. 



Crockpot Sticky Chicken

- 2-3 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 4), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 Cup Raw Honey
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar 
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 3 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 2 Green Onions, white and green parts, chopped

1. Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Pour the ingredients through the red pepper flakes on top and toss to coat. Cook on low 2.5-3 hours... I haven't tested it on high but I assume 1-1.5 hours.



2. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and pour the sauce into a medium sauce pan over high heat. Whisk the arrow root and water together and stir in while whisking. The sauce should thicken within minutes. 
3. Remove from heat and add the chicken back in. Sprinkle with green onions and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 581
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 10 g15 %
Saturated Fat 2 g9 %
Monounsaturated Fat 4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 150 mg50 %
Sodium 1525 mg64 %
Potassium 230 mg7 %
Total Carbohydrate 71 g24 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g3 %
Sugars 64 g
Protein 53 g107 %
Vitamin A7 %
Vitamin C8 %
Calcium2 %
Iron16 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.


No comments:

Post a Comment