Sunday, September 14, 2014

Brussel Sprouts and Chicken Sausage

On Friday, Charlie and I stopped at the grocery store on our way home from work/daycare. It had been a long week with curriculum night, staff meeting, and a protest outside the school. Charlie was tired, I was sick and tired, and she decided to act her age- didn't want to sit in the cart, pulling things off shelves, yelling, etc. Anyone who has kids has been there. I was walking down the aisle and a lady about 55ish made eye contact with me- I honestly thought she was going to say something like, "we've all been there." But no. She looked right at me and said, "You shouldn't take your kid shopping alone if you can't handle it." I literally lost it- voice raised, curse words flying, I told her what I thought about that comment and then some. When I got to my car I cried and called my mom, feelings honestly hurt. I try really hard to be a good mom, work really hard and some days exhaustion gets the best of you and a stranger can get to you more than they should. I posted something online about it just to vent and I was overwhelmed with the nice, angry, supportive, and reassuring comments I got. I am so grateful to have such great people in my life that bring me back up when I am feeling down. That lady is also lucky she didn't say that to one of my friends, because apparently their reaction would have been worse than mine. :)







Could someone also please tell my little girl to stop growing? Thanks.









This is a quick and easy dinner, although not the prettiest dish. Protein and a vegetable with few ingredients. One night I added baby spinach to the pan at the end. It's simple but sometimes simple is best.


Brussel Sprouts and Chicken Sausage

- 1 lb Brussel Sprouts, halved, stem part removed
- 1/4 cup Water
- 4 Chicken Sausage Links, halved and sliced (any flavor)
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

1. Over medium-high heat, add the water, onion, garlic and brussel sprouts to a skillet. Cover and steam for about 5 minutes--- the time it takes to cut sausage and get out the other ingredients, maybe clean up a little.
2. Remove the lid and add the sausage, red pepper flakes, coconut aminos, and lemon juice. Saute until the brussel sprouts are bright green and fork tender and the sauce has reduced to almost nothing. Taste for seasoning- enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment