Sunday, June 15, 2014

Blackened Salmon

It's that time of the year!!! Costco is carrying wild caught salmon... woohoo! I usually pay upwards of $19.99/lb at Whole Foods and it is only $12.99/lb at the Costco near my house.... $14.99/lb at the one near my parents... ha! Stock up people, it doesn't last long.
My child actually has eaten fish since she started eating real food. I give her what I eat and if she decides she doesn't like it that night than she can eat her veggies and fruit or nothing. I know it kind of sounds mean but I don't want her being a picky eater and liking something one day and not liking it the next is just mind-blowingly frustrating. I am also not going to cook two different meals for us and she always has the option of peanut butter and jelly, which I think she would love to take any day of the week anyway.
I know that blackened salmon is traditionally done in a skillet, but I just took my blackened salmon spice mix and put it on top of my salmon on a plank because I wanted to grill. It is way too nice of a day to be standing over a stove cooking. If you are going to do this in a skillet, start with from ghee or clarified butter in a pan and put the salmon skin side down to make it crispy. Flip it and cook until blackened... 3-5 minutes on each side over medium-medium high heat. On a grill, soak the plank (I got mine at Williams Sonoma) for at least an hour. Place the seasoned salmon skin side down on the plank then on the grill. Close the lid- cook 15-20 minutes until firm... but not TOO firm... when you press on it. I am eating mine over a left over caesar salad. :)


Blackened Salmon Seasoning 

- 1-1.5 lb Wild Caught Salmon
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2-3/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 lemon

1. Mix the spices in a bowl. Squeeze the lemon over the salmon and sprinkle with the spices. Cook your preferred way... directions for grilling vs. skillet are in the last paragraph above. 




No comments:

Post a Comment