Thursday, February 25, 2016

Honey Mustard Dishes: Chicken/Potatoes and Salmon/Veggies

Here we go... the start of CrossFit Open #4 four for me. In Central East I have gone from place #1507 in 2013 to #413 in 2014 to #367 in 2015... I know I wasn't strong enough last year, and I know I should've re-done 15.5, but this is a fresh start. This is the first year I don't have any expectations going into it, I want to have fun and I want to walk away knowing I had nothing left. I almost didn't want to do it this year- probably a pride thing- because I don't feel like I have trained enough and it is hard to go into something thinking you'll do worse for the first time since you started. My profile picture sums that up ;) and my friends are also hilarious- maybe only we think so but who cares.



But that's not the attitude to have and I don't even know the workouts... I am stronger than last year even if I don't feel like it on any given day- I 20-repped 10 lbs higher than my 1 rep from last year this week- in my socks from work, without a belt or knee sleeves, with Charlie riding her wooden rocking horse behind me yelling and counting wrong.... if that is not a gain cognitively and strength-wise I don't know what is. Like most things, this sport is mental- get it together and go hard Ashley. 


It is no secret that mustard is one of the things I dislike. However, honey mustard is a different story. I always make it with dijon, but if you like mustard, yellow would be great too. 

One-Pan Honey Mustard Chicken and Potatoes


- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into large chunks (you could leave them whole, but increase the cooking time)
- 1 lb Yellow Potatoes, or baby red skins, cut into 1/2-1 inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Small Sweet Onion, chopped in bigger pieces 
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper

Preheat Oven to 425 Degrees
1. On a large cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment (or a glass baking dish), spread out the chicken, potatoes, and onion. 
2. Whisk the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken and potatoes. Toss with your hands until everything is well-coated. 


3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing half-way through. Until the chicken is firm and juices are clear, and the potatoes are fork tender. Taste for salt and serve. 

Something about some delicious roasted broccoli is hard to resist- I ate this dish with some! Cut into florets, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Drizzle on olive oil. Bake on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes at 425 degrees.... yum! 


This next dish was our Valentine's Day dinner. I am not big into Valentine's Day as a day for flowers and chocolate, but I don't mind the excuse to make a nice dinner with Matt. We broke out the champagne to celebrate the sale of my little blue house and made some homemade ice cream and individual chocolate cakes for dessert. 


These cakes are my Chocolate Peanut-Butter Mug Cakes but baked in the oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. 


Honey Mustard Salmon

(serves 2)

- 1 lb Skin-on Wild Caught Salmon
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 Lemon, Thinly Sliced
- Salt and Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. 
1. Whisk the honey and mustard together. Place salmon skin-side down on a baking sheet or glass baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread the honey-mustard on the salmon and top with the lemon slices. Bake 20-25 minutes until the salmon is slightly firm, or to your done-ness liking. 


Vegetables- serves 6-ish if you are hungry like us
I made Cooking Light's Asparagus and Peas with warm tarragon vinaigrette- ADAPTATIONS- I used white vinegar instead of tarragon vinegar, and used no fresh tarragon. Looks just like the picture :) Recipe found here

  




No comments:

Post a Comment