Friday, May 1, 2015

Pineapple Glazed Chicken Kabobs

This past weekend I judged a competition designed for "rookie" crossfitters. The teams of two were either rookie-rookie or pro-rookie. We had three teams from our box competing which always makes watching/judging better when you know people. So great seeing people compete for the first time and push themselves. As a judge I know you are supposed to be impartial, but it was hard to not cheer for my friends (or actually anyone) when they wanted to slow down or stop- really proud of how far a lot of the people I watched have come.. Just like teaching or coaching, I feel like judging just gives another view of the sport that can make you a better athlete. 


I haven't had the best of weeks, just feeling defeated and struggling with some personal things...my friends have been the best- even when I am frustrated with the decisions people make, and things out of my control, they are there to remind to keep my head up and things will workout how they are supposed to. I am attempting to take what is bothering me, let it go because I can't control it anyway, and focus on the positives- easier said than done. :) but the weather is getting warmer and that always helps moral!! I know people grill in the winter, I am just not of them, so it is nice to get back out there and not stand in a hot kitchen for all of my meal prep. I ate these with rice for my lunch all week...there's something about grilled fruit that is perfect! 


Pineapple Glazed Chicken Kabobs 

(makes 8-10 skewers)


- 3/4 cup pineapple juice (6 oz)
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice (about 1/2 small lime)
- 1 Jalapeno, finely chopped (de-veined and seeded if you want)
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2+  pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 Bell Peppers, seeded and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 Pineapple, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Olive Oil
1. In a sauce pan over high heat, add the juice through garlic. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 5-10 minutes until the sauce has reduced and is thicker. Stir every few minutes so it doesn't burn. Strain out the jalapeno if you don't want it too hot.


2. Thread the vegetables and chicken on skewers.


Brush with oil and then the glaze, or pour it over the top. Let it sit 30 minutes if you have time, or cook right away. 


3. On a grill over medium-high heat, cook the skewers, turning once, until chicken is cooked though (about 8-10 minutes depending on your grill and size of your chicken pieces) *** If you can't or don't want to grill, you can put them under an oven broiler for 5-7 minutes ***

No comments:

Post a Comment