Thursday, May 14, 2015

Lemon Garlic Baked Cod

I went to another box, owned by my friend, last Saturday because our box was hosting a competition. I went to their Olympic lifting class because I haven't hit my snatch PR since January and I have only hit it once in my life- I thought a different coach might give me some tips I haven't tried yet. It is incredibly frustrating to keep failing at this lift because I know I am strong enough, and it is the movement I need to do well on to get my Maven M... the highest award at our gym. The goal for the M is set by our owner and coach and it is usually a skill you are weak in- watching my friends get there Ms just makes me want to keep working- I know I can do it. Saturday I hit my PR snatch on the first try- couldn't hit higher but just hitting it after months of failure re-sets my mind that I am improving and gives me that mental perk up I need to keep pushing. Maybe I just needed a change of scenery. :) 


So you know how some days you know it's just not going to be your day?... Yep, that's today. I don't sleep very well, probably stress, so last night was no different except at 3am I heard a yell for "momma!!" and crying. I rush down the stairs and she has wet the bed- very upsetting for her. Change of sheets, new pjs, etc. and she's snuggled back in bed and I am unable to go back to sleep. Fast forward to my zombie like state at 4:30am- getting ready, running late and rushing out the door... Miss independent has to do everything herself now and her favorite thing to say is, "No, mine do it." which slows us down- but I encourage independence so fine, whatever. I know she gets this from me because anyone who knows me knows I am stubborn and fiercely independent- I don't ask for help even when I am sitting there crying and needing it. I recently put together a day-bed in my guest room, which would have been easier with help, but there's satisfaction when you do something yourself and I hate the idea that I need someone... even though honestly sometimes I do. ANYWAY! Rushing trying to get her in the car I forget that I have coffee sitting on the center console drive off- coffee spills everywhere in my work bag. Sigh. Here we go Thursday. 


Cod was on sale at the store so I thought I would make something easy with it. Charlie eats fish so would work for her too. :) If you don't like cod you could use tilapia or halibut for this also. If you are paleo or doing a Whole30, make sure you use ghee- I used Kerrygold. Mmmmm butter. Oil just wouldn't be the same. 


Lemon Garlic Baked Cod

- 2 Cod Filets (8-10 oz each)
- 6 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp Ghee (or butter)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon, zest 1/2 and juice (about 1/4 cup+ juice)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 
1. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, cook about 3 minutes. Shut off the heat and add the lemon juice/zest. 


2. Drizzle the oil on a cookie sheet lined with foil or parchment. Place the cod on the sheet and make sure the bottom of the fish is coated in the oil so it doesn't stick. 


3. Top the fish with the butter/garlic and sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper.


4. Bake 15-20 minutes until firm and bright white. 
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 215
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 6 g9 %
Saturated Fat 4 g20 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 115 mg38 %
Sodium 121 mg5 %
Potassium 15 mg0 %
Total Carbohydrate 1 g0 %
Dietary Fiber 0 g1 %
Sugars 0 g
Protein 40 g81 %
Vitamin A5 %
Vitamin C7 %
Calcium5 %
Iron4 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment