Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Spicy Dark Chocolate Bark

Something I learned sharing my experience of a divorce and being a working, single parent over social media and being completely honest and open about it with my friends is that there are a lot of people in my situation and a lot of us feel alone with all of our friends happily married or happily coupled and we often feel judged for our choices made, or that they were flippant decisions. As I have been talking to people in a similar situation to me I have realized that, not unlike myself, the choices made were in the best interest of the happiness of the child and the parents, they were not easy choices, and despite what a situation looks like from the outside, unless you are the people in that family, you don't really get to share your opinion that we should have "tried harder" "tried _____" "Did we do ____?" I recently met the "new person" in my ex's life which is obviously bound to happen- I didn't break up with him intending for him to live miserably, nor did I wish that I on him. Although it is hard to know my little girl will be around someone new, I have to keep in mind that the more people that love her the better for her and all I want is what is best for her. I also cannot be hypocritical because I was dating someone also and he is a part of her life in a positive way, just as I hope my ex's new person is. I am still wondering if saying good-bye to her even for a night will get any easier? Or if I will stop looking at pictures of her as I go to bed the nights I don't have her? I am guessing not. 

I made this for my friend Kelly who requested something with dark chocolate, a little heat, and almonds. I like the idea of all of those things so there will be something else along these lines soon too. This takes about 5 minutes to make and another 5 to set- really easy and really tasty as a morning snack with coffee or that sweet tooth in the afternoon.



Spicy Dark Chocolate Bark with Almonds* (*optional)

(Printable Version)

- 6 ounces of Dark Chocolate (I used Trader Joe's 72% Cacao Dark Chocolate- it's Vegan)
- 1/2 cup Almond Slices, or unsalted dry-roasted almonds chopped finely
- 1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon 
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
1. Line the bottom of a small baking sheet with parchment paper.


2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot water, or in a microwave on low in 30-second increments. Stir often so it melts evenly- this took me about 2 minutes. Stir in the spices.
3. Pour the chocolate onto the baking sheet and smooth into a even, thin layer. Sprinkle with the almonds and sea salt. 

4. Chill in the refrigerator until completely set, about 20 minutes, or in the freezer for about 5 minutes. Break the bark into irregular pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment