Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Hawaiian Chili

After one of the competitions we did a chili cook-off with the members of our box. My sister Mara's chili was one of the favorites and it was the Civilized Caveman's Spicy Pineapple Chili. I have been a fan of putting steak AND ground beef in chili, as seen in my Smokey Steak Chili, but putting fruit in chili, like his recipe, was so good that I decided to combine them! Due to the pineapple and the bacon I am going with the name Hawaiian Chili because Hawaiian pizza has those things on it :). Charlie was a BIG fan of this recipe- she didn't want the steak but more for me! Since I seeded the Serrano peppers it wasn't too spicy for her and she loved the pineapple. I made another big pot for us for dinner this week... this picture was the first time she ate it, I put it in a bowl the second time- Yes, I know she is a mess. 



Because my recipe requires browning the steak, and taking it out of the pan, before adding the other ingredients this is how I saved time: while my steak was browning I chopped all of my other ingredients- I also place my browned steak in the same container I plan on storing the chili in to save time on more dishes. If you are trying to do Whole30 make sure you find tomato sauce without sugar... if you can't... use tomato paste and crushed tomatoes in place of the sauce!



Hawaiian Chili

(Printable Version)

- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 pound Bacon, chopped in 1/2" pieces
- 1 pound Stew Beef, cubed in bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound Grass-Fed Ground Beef
- 1 Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 2 Serrano Peppers, seeded (optional) and finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 20-oz Can Diced Pineapple, in juice
- 1 29-oz Can Tomato Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste

1. In a large dutch-over or pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and steak. Cook the steak until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. (it does not need to be cooked through)


2. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the bacon. When the bacon fat starts rendering add the peppers, onion, garlic and a little salt. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
3.  Add the ground beef and brown, breaking it up as much as possible. If there is a lot of fat in the pan at this point I would drain it. My beef was lean so I didn't. Add the spices. 


4. After the spices are fragrant, add the pineapple (with juice), the browned stew beef and can of tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about an hour. Taste for salt. The chili will become darker as it cooks! 

** This can also be made in a crockpot... brown the meat and cook the vegetables the same way... add the meat/veggies and the sauces to a crockpot and cook 6-8 hours on low ***

Servings 8.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 339
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 17 g25 %
Saturated Fat 6 g30 %
Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 82 mg27 %
Sodium 844 mg35 %
Potassium 602 mg17 %
Total Carbohydrate 24 g8 %
Dietary Fiber 4 g16 %
Sugars 17 g
Protein 27 g53 %
Vitamin A36 %
Vitamin C64 %
Calcium4 %
Iron28 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.


No comments:

Post a Comment