Monday, December 22, 2014

Pear Butter and Biscuits

Everyone claims this is the season of giving and family and gratitude... but this is my view of the day- Tis the season for crazy drivers, rude strangers and dwindling bank accounts! I really just don't   understand why people can't take a deep breath, grab a coffee, be considerate and take it down a notch. The fact that you are out affording presents for loved ones means you are doing better than most in this world. You don't know how much just a smile and a hello to someone having to leave their family to work this week might mean. It's the thought that counts and giving someone something you know they will love. My sister and I have always been good at this with each other.


Tonight I decided to re-do my biscuit recipe I did with my strawberry shortcakes and top it with some homemade pear butter. I have been out of jelly for a while and thought making a sugar-free fruit spread out of the mass amount of pears I have sounded perfect. You could also use apples, but I am allergic so I didn't. :)




Pear Butter

(Printable Version)

(makes 1 small jelly jar)

- 2 Ripe Pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2-3 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt

1. In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, toss all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 15-20 minutes- stirring often so it doesn't burn to the bottom.

2. When the pears are soft, use an immersion blender, real blender, or potato masher to squish the pears to an applesauce- like consistency (or smoother if you prefer)
3. Pour back into the pan and cook, uncovered, at medium to medium-high heat, stirring almost constantly, or at least every minute, until it thickens. About 8-10 minutes. It will thicken a little more as it cools.




Grain- Free Biscuits

(makes 9 biscuits)

- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil, melted
- Pinch of Salt

Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.

1. Whisk all ingredients together. It is okay if it is a little lumpy. The batter will be thick and thicken as it sits because of the coconut flour.



2. Mound about 2 Tbsp of batter (per biscuit) onto a greased, or parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.






No comments:

Post a Comment