Thursday, November 13, 2014

Chicken and Plantain Salad

This is me today. I know it means I can go home after work and do the things I need to get done and play with Charlie, but I really like working out and I would rather do that. :) I am also not particularly sore so taking a rest day, even though I realize they are beneficial, when I am not sore and motivated to train is hard. Also, personally and work-wise the past week has been rough, making it even harder to not train because it makes me feel so much better about life. It's the time I can focus on something else, hang out with my friends, and lift heavy shit. 


My next two recipes are featuring plantains... I am not really sure why I wanted to use them so much lately, but I am always up for trying new fruits/vegetables. Plantains are only eaten after they are cooked, which is pretty much why they are differentiated from bananas- they are usually found next to the bananas in the grocery store. I use the green ones because when they start to turn yellow they seem to be too sweet in the recipe. They don't break down and become mushy like a banana, but have the same flavor profile and contain more starch and less sugar. Adding some hot sauce, cumin or cayenne would also be tasty... I'm a fan of heat though. :) I'm also not into a ton of sauce, so some of you might want to double that if you are!


Chicken and Plantain Salad



  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or avocado)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 large Green plantains (they can be slightly yellow), peeled, cut in half and diced
  • 1 lb cooked and shredded chicken (about 2 Breasts or a whole rotisserie chicken)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2-3 Cups Cabbage (I used Savoy), roughly chopped
  • 2 Green Onions, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 3 tablespoon raw honey
  • 1-2 Tbsp Lemon Juice



1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the oil, garlic and plantains. Sprinkle them with salt and cook until they are crispy and brown on the outside.
2. While they are cooking, whisk the dijon, lemon juice and honey in a large bowl or what you are going to store the dish in. 
3. Add the chicken, cabbage, and onions to the skillet. Saute until the cabbage is slightly wilted.
4. Pour chicken/plantain mixture into the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat. I have eaten this cold, at room temperature, and warm... your choice! I also sprinkle a little more salt and green onions on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment