Thursday, October 23, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai

I never had maternity pictures, newborn pictures, etc. done with Charlie when she was little, so I decided now was the time to have pictures done with our family of 2. I also invited my sister and parents to come along so they could be in some too. I just got the proofs back...yay! :) 


I liked my first pad thai dish- sweet potato pad thai- so much that I decided to try again with a new recipe. This one uses dates as the main sweetener instead of coconut sugar so I think it may be a healthier option. It also could be made into a Whole30 dish if you omit the honey. The sauce is strong on its own, but is mellowed out when added to the dish.
I roasted my spaghetti squash because I like the flavor better, I am also thinking next time I will add toasted cashews for a crunch. :)

Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai


- 1 small Spaghetti Squash, seeded
- 1.5-2 lbs Chicken Breasts (about 4 breasts) cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, diced
- 3 Eggs, whisked
- 3 Green Onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1 Lime (Optional)

Sauce-
- 5 Dried Dates (pitted)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 inch Fresh Ginger
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 1-2 Tbsp Raw Honey (optional)

To roast squash:
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut the squash in half length-wise and remove the seeds.
3. Rub the inside with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place cut-side down on a cookie sheet.
4. Roast on the middle rack for 35-40 minutes (this is "under-cooked" or else it will be too mushy for the dish)
5. When it is cool enough to touch, use a fork to shred the inside into "spaghetti"


Sauce:
1. Place all ingredients for sauce in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.

Dish:
1. In a large skillet, or wok, over medium-high heat, add a little oil and saute the chicken and onions until the chicken is cooked about half-way through. Add the carrots and cook until the chicken is done.
2. Make room in the middle of the pan, add the eggs and cook until they are scrambled.
3. Add the spaghetti squash, toss until combined.
4. Add the sauce and saute until the dish is thick and combined.
5. Top with green onions and serve with a lime wedge.... and maybe some toasted cashews.


No comments:

Post a Comment