Sunday, October 5, 2014

Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread (Nut free!)

My sister sent me a Tommy Hackenbruck quote that I really liked, "You don't need a harder workout, you just need to go harder in your workout." Sometimes I find myself unjustly irritated that I can't workout as much as I want (who can, really?) or jealous of people who can go to the gym and stay as long as they want, even though I am incredibly grateful for the amount of time I do get. The quote resonated with me because I probably don't need to workout that much more, I need to workout harder when I am there. That's been my mindset the past two weeks, and I have to say it's been going pretty well. Amazing what an attitude can do. 


It's also important to remember who is watching you, because I know the most important person to me in the world is watching my every move. I don't want to be anything but a positive role-model. 


If you missed any of my previous posts about sunflower seed flour and have a nut-allergy, or know someone who does, this is huge in my mind as far as Paleo baking. Sunflower seed flour is a directly comparable ingredient for almond flour in recipes- meaning no conversions, no adding more liquid, no confusion and dry baked goods. Problem is you can't buy it. On a positive note, it is really easy to make and really cheap so even if you don't have a nut allergy, you can reduce the price of your baked goods by adding this one extra step. I have found them in bulk both at Trader Joes and Whole Foods. It often turns products green in the baking process. Adding the lemon juice in this recipe prevents this but if you don't have any, just know the color won't change the taste. :)


This bread turned out really well. I am not a huge pumpkin person, but since it's now October I am jumping on the band-wagon this one time. It is very moist and awesome topped with some Kerrygold butter. 

Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

- 1 1/4 Cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 Eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 Cup Raw Honey
- 2 Tbsp (heaping) Coconut Oil, then melt
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Mini Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (non-dairy)

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. 

1. Make the sunflower seed flour. In a high-powered blender, pour the raw seeds. Blend on high or pulse the seeds, stopping to stir occasionally, until you have a fine flour. Don't blend too long at once or you will get sunflower seed butter! You should end up with about 1 1/2 cups.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. 
3. Add the remaining wet ingredients (I suppose you could mix them first in a separate bowl if you want more dishes.) Mix well. 
4. Add the chocolate chips and mix again.
5. Pour into a greased bread pan. Bake 45-50 min until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool at least 10 min before cutting.




No comments:

Post a Comment