Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Paleo No-oat "Oatmeal"

The CrossFit Open is well underway... moving into week 3... I started off better than I thought- maybe the key is to have fun and relax?? Finishing the first workout in the top 2% in the World/Region and top 5% for the second workout. Not too shabby for this one! I am also proud of my friends and boyfriend who have all put in a ton of work and are killing it. This is incredibly fatiguing mentally and physically and most of them are feeling a lot of pressure- it's always great to see people you love do well. These workouts have wrecked my body- I am so sore. Charlie and I gave RomWod yoga a try - she was so much better than me but her farting during it and making me laugh wasn't helping.



 My good mood and positivity has been improved by the snow days we have gotten. To spend a random day at home with my little brightens my mood and refreshes me more than you would think. I put my functional fitness to work with Charlie and we shoveled instead of snow blowing.


The second week of the Open was also my 31st birthday. I did the workout and then headed to dinner with Matt and Charlie. Buddy's pizza... yum. When we got home he and Charlie surprised me with my favorite cupcakes and my present... a Shinola watch. Hand-made in Detroit and gorgeous. Can't wait to wear it- I am so spoiled. :)  Saturday Matt planned a surprise date for me while my parents babysat. We tried the Detroit Restaurant of the year and it was fantastic. I think my 31st year will be a great one. 

 This dish was inspired by one that my coach, Melanie, was eating at the box one morning. She was eating a pre-made Paleo breakfast that was basically a flaxseed and coconut "oatmeal" and it sounded easy to duplicate so I thought I would give it a try!

Paleo No-Oat "Oatmeal"

(makes 12 servings)
- 2 Cups Raw Nuts (I used 1 cup Almonds, 1/2 Cup Pecans and 1/2 Walnuts)
- 1/2 Cup Ground Flax Seed
- 1 Cup Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut
- 1/2 Cup Chia Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon (less if you're not into that flavor)
- Pinch of Salt

1. In a food processor, pulse all of the ingredients until they are coarse pieces- think the look of oatmeal :)

2. From here I store mine in a big mason jar in the fridge.



When you are ready to have some pour 1/3 cup in a small sauce pan with 1/3-1/2 Cup of milk.

Stir over medium heat until it thickens to your liking. Top with a drizzle of honey and fresh fruit... enjoy!


Nutrition Facts
Servings 12.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 215
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 18 g28 %
Saturated Fat 3 g17 %
Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 8 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0 %
Sodium 9 mg0 %
Potassium 187 mg5 %
Total Carbohydrate 11 g4 %
Dietary Fiber 8 g30 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 6 g12 %
Vitamin A0 %
Vitamin C0 %
Calcium8 %
Iron5 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment