Friday, October 30, 2015

Pesto Chicken and Zucchini "Noodles"

Sorry I have been behind on my new posts! Work has been so busy my meal plans have consisted of older recipes and things that are easy and fast. I spent this past weekend in Florida with Matt. We were only gone Friday to Sunday, but it was great to see the mall he was leading the construction of and spend some time relaxing on the beach! As always, being that I CrossFit, I had to head out to the sandbar and take my cliche "this is me doing a handstand everywhere I go" picture. :) I also spent some time trying to walk on my hands in the sand and that proved to be difficult with my hands sinking and wind and water moving me. But I couldn't have asked for a better weekend... this week was back to reality with the sink in my kitchen clogging and cooking becoming difficult!!



 This dish is easy, but you use the oven and the stove which in my busy life, is something I don't love doing... something about too many dishes :) But either way, it is healthy and delcious and a great way to use the pesto I made and froze from the basil in (*ahem) my.... I mean Matt's.... garden! 




Pesto Chicken and Zucchini "Noodles"

(Printable Version)

- 5-6 Zucchinis
- 3 Boneless, Skinless Breasts of Chicken
- 4 Cups Loosely Packed Basil
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil+
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1/3 Cup Pine Nuts (I have used walnuts before too)
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Raw Parmesan (if you aren't paleo or Whole30)

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees

1. Place the chicken in a baking dish, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Not the amounts listed for the basil!) Bake 35-45 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken. Juices will run clear when they are done. 
2. While the chicken is cooking.... Use a spiralizer, or a vegetable peeler, and "zoodle" or peel all of the zucchini into thin slices. In a large skillet, saute the zucchini in olive oil just a few minutes... I like to keep mine with a lot of bite still. (** I have used gluten free pasta for this and add the zoodles to the boiling water for the last minute of cooking... so my dish included both zucchini and noodles. :) 
3. In a food processor combine the remaining ingredients. Pulse until until you reach your desired consistency... add more olive oil or water if necessary. 
4. Combine everything in a large bowl and toss together... I put a little more pesto over my chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment