Thursday, August 13, 2015

Double Chocolate Cookies (nut-free)

Funny thing happened the other day... I was headed to the box, stopped at a light, Charlie was in the back with my phone taking pictures, and a police officer was behind me. My hands are pretty beat-up right now with rips and calluses and I was picking at them while I was driving and stopped- I know, it's gross- but it's become a habit and I have to get the skin off. ;-) When the light turned the officer pulled me over- I was thoroughly confused because I didn't think I had done anything wrong. So when he asked, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I honestly answered, 'No, actually I don't.' Turns out he thought I was texting and driving because me picking at my hands appeared to look like that. He laughed when I showed him my hands, my child obviously had my phone and said he had never heard that before but believed me. With that it was 'have a good workout' and I was on my way.



Charlie and I also went to Cook's Dairy Farm with my parents this week... cows and ice cream make for a great summer afternoon. :) 



These cookies took me a bit to get right. Cooking with coconut flour is tricky. They are not very sweet so if you need sweet maybe amp up the sugar, or take a risk because you are baking, and add honey. For me they were a perfect treat and went well with my coffee. Tapioca flour is made from the cassava plant and makes baked good chewy and things like pizza dough crisp up- basically it improves the texture of paleo cooking. PLEASE DO NOT substitute coconut flour for it... you will regret that decision when you get a horribly dry, inedible cookie out of the oven. :)




Double Chocolate Cookies

(Makes 16 Cookies)

- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 3/4 Cup Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/4 Cup Grass-fed Butter, melted* (I have used coconut oil instead of this and the cookies are fine- just a touch less chewy)
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
1/3 Cup Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips (non-dairy)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

1. Whisk the flours, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl.



2. In a separate bowl, or measuring cup, whisk the eggs, oil, butter, and vanilla. 
3. Slowly pour the wet into the dry ingredients until a glossy, dough is formed. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.

4. On a parchment lined baking sheet, drop 1 Tbsp sized balls of dough a couple inches apart. Bake 12-14 minutes. 

 Let them cool before storing in an air-tight container. I like to keep mine in the freezer!




No comments:

Post a Comment