Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Vegetable Bake

You know what I am grateful for right now? My friends. They are taking me out for my birthday this weekend, they talk to me when I am having a bad day/night, and they reserve their judgement even if I am making bad decisions. I am not a person to have low self-esteem, but when you have been through a divorce, are raising a child by yourself and your only relationship since has been complicated it wears on you- they have been my clarity for my personal life and my constant reminder of what I deserve and should expect. I am so lucky to have them. 

I used to be vegetarian... well vegan for a while actually... and as crazy as it is to think about now, I still have some aversions to meat when I cook it. Weird pieces of chicken, parts of the egg yolk I don't like to look at, etc. Not to mention meat is so expensive sometimes a veggie dish is needed. I ate this plain once, added taco meat the next time, and Charlie ate it too. even though there is hardly any cheese, well none if you want, it almost has a cheesy texture. Nutritional yeast gives almost a buttery taste which is really great, but if you don't have any the dish will still be good. (See more on nutritional yeast here)


Vegetable Bake

(Printable Version)

- 1 Small Spaghetti Squash
- 2 Zucchini, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 14-oz Can Tomato Sauce (watch for sugar)
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (if you don't have any just omit)
- Salt and Pepper
- Raw Parmesan Cheese (Optional)

Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees
1. Cut and spaghetti squash in half length-wise, scoop out the seeds. Place cut-side down on a cookie sheet and bake about 45min, until it is soft to the touch and can be pierced easily with a knife.



2. While the squash is cooking, heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini and carrots and a sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 5-7 minutes.



3. When the spaghetti squash is cooled enough to handle, scrape out the insides into a bowl. Add the sauteed vegetables, egg and tomato sauce. Mix until combined. 



4. Pour mixture into a greased dish, sprinkle with cheese if you want, and bake for 30 minutes until bubbly. Let cool a few minutes before serving. 



Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 170
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 3 g4 %
Saturated Fat 1 g4 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47 mg16 %
Sodium 1382 mg58 %
Potassium 1194 mg34 %
Total Carbohydrate 34 g11 %
Dietary Fiber 9 g35 %
Sugars 17 g
Protein 8 g16 %
Vitamin A125 %
Vitamin C81 %
Calcium12 %
Iron17 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment