Sunday, March 22, 2015

Caramelized Onion and Spinach Frittata with Sweet Potato Crust.. The Open 15.4

Sorry I have been slacking on the posts lately! I have still been sick...blah!...The workout this week went as well as could be expected considering I can't breathe. I am redoing it tomorrow- I have to do them all twice.... you can always get one more rep, right?! I also haven't been cooking a lot. I know that with everything in life we can get into a funk where we need to take a step back and motivate again- that's kind of where I am at with a few things. I have been putting my phone down a lot more, staying off social media a little more, and trying to actually enjoy what's going on around me instead of trying to take a picture of it or share it with people I am not actually with. It was, however, Henry's 5th birthday this week so we had to take a picture with him... he loves us! 



My mom reminded me the other day that I won't get these years back with my daughter and I would hate for her to think anything on my phone or in my personal life is more important than her. Speaking of Charlie-girl, I took her to get her first hair cut this weekend... she thought she was quite hot stuff sitting in that chair! I hope her curls stay!




For this recipe you could use any variety of vegetables or even add crumbled sausage or bacon. I am just trying to eat more vegetables in general and sometimes my vegetarian side comes back and it's nice to eat a meal that saves a little money because of that too! 


I ate this with a half of an avocado all last week for breakfast and it was so good I made it again this week. I can eat a quarter of it at a time though so maybe I should make two....

Caramelized Onion and Spinach Frittata with Sweet Potato Crust

(Printable Version)

- 1 Large Sweet Potato, peeled and grated
- 1 10-oz Package Chopped Frozen Spinach, thawed and squeezed
- 1 Small Vidalia (sweet onion), cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1 Garlic Clove* (*if this is too much for you in the morning for breakfast just omit it*)
- 1 tsp Salt + more for sprinkling 
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper + more for sprinkling
- 1 Tbsp Grassfed Butter
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 10 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Milk (optional- reduce the eggs to 8 if you add this)
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees


1. After grating the potato, sprinkle it lightly with salt and pepper. Press it into a greased, glass pie dish. It won't stick together well at this point, but will after baking. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. When it comes out of the oven, press it lightly with a spatula so it sticks together a little better and goes up the sides, if it looks okay then don't do this. :)




2. While the crust is baking, carmelized the onion- heat the oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until it is softened, turn the heat down to medium-low if they start to brown rather than caramelize, and let it cook, stirring occasionally, until light brown and very soft. 




3. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and seasoning, add the chopped spinach and onions. 



4. When the crust has cooled slightly, pour the egg mixture in. Sprinkle with Parmesan if you want! Cover with foil (so the crust doesn't burn!) and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 15-20 min until the the center is firm (not liquid at all) and a knife inserted comes out clean.



Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 218
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 13 g20 %
Saturated Fat 5 g23 %
Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 318 mg106 %
Sodium 200 mg8 %
Potassium 394 mg11 %
Total Carbohydrate 12 g4 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g12 %
Sugars 5 g
Protein 13 g26 %
Vitamin A163 %
Vitamin C7 %
Calcium14 %
Iron15 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment