Sunday, December 4, 2016

One Hour at a Time... in the gym!

One month post traumatic event and I feel like I am doing much better turning the page. The only thing that still gets me is when people announce they are pregnant or constantly post pictures of their new baby... which honestly every time I open up any social media seems to be like everyone I know. My literally reaction out loud, or in my head if I am with them, is “what the f—k.” I know that is shocking for some people who have never had, or don't understand, infertility or loss, but let me explain. First of all this is a constant topic in my group dealing with infertility and loss so this isn't just me. Secondly, it’s not that I am not happy when people are expecting or have babies, it just feels like a dagger to the heart for me because of what I have been through. I am healthy, young-ish, finally with the right man, and I really want a baby... so hearing it was a “mistake”  or "it happened so quickly" or whatever I am justifiably bitter at the unfairness. I am fully aware I can't control the situation and will just have to wait and hope for the best when we can try again, so in the mean time I am focusing on things that make me happy and keep me busy and healthy- food, fitness, and family. 

After what happened a few weeks ago I don't know when I'll compete again- which is hard to say since I'm such a competitive person, but my priorities are different. I want a baby to make it to term, I'm a mom, a teacher and can't commit the time I know it takes to compete at the level I want to. I have already decided I will not be doing the CrossFit Open this year, for the first time in four years. I know myself and I can't just "do it for fun." I will go hard and stress that I am not training enough and that kind of pressure I put on myself physically and mentally is not good for the balance I am trying to achieve. I'm still going to train and give it my all when I'm at the gym - I love CrossFit and I know I will be back competing one day, but in the mean time I'm finally realizing my balance right now involves taking a step back, not comparing myself to others, or even my former self, staying positive and supporting my friends who are motivated to hit some impressive goals and who are putting in the works that it takes to compete at a high level and they're killing it. 

Even though competing is taking a back seat to wanting a family, fitness and being healthy are most definitely still riding shotgun. I know, even if I am pregnant again one day, I can commit my typical 25min-1 hour at the gym or at home at least 4-5 times a week. If I need more rest, I will take it, but even a walk around the block with the dog is better than nothing! I know it is not just me who wants to train, but has limited time to fit everything in- programs I have found that cater to this type of athlete seem to not put in high skills (like just because you don't have 3 hours a day you can't do a muscle up?) and cost money. That's not my style, so with the suggestion from my cousin, Emily, I thought I would post what I am doing weekly, along with what I am eating, so all of you other busy people can get in and out of the gym with me. :) 

I don't have an issue with the current programming at the gym, I follow it for the most part, it is just sometimes too much for what I have time for and I find myself picking and choosing what days I will go in based on what the workout is and I don't like that. A workout that is 30 minutes of just snatching is great, but when you only have 1 hour a few days a week a workout with only one skill is not what I want to be doing. I know it is near impossible to practice olympic lifts, gymnastics, mobility, and do a workout and all the strength training with just an hour, but I want to fit in as many skills as possible every week. I also know what it takes to be competitive and even though it isn't my priority, if you work hard enough in that hour you can still be a really decent athlete and healthy, happy person. My friends joke that I can come in, not stretch, bust out a workout and strength and be gone in 45 minutes before some people have even warmed up. 

All times are from when I walked in the door until when I walked out. Some were done at home. I don't warm up a lot, don't spend time in the gym stretching or doing anything I could do at home. I am nuts. :) 

Weekly Workouts: 
Workout 1 (1 hour)
WOD:
100 Wall Balls 
10 Power Clean and Jerks @125 (Rx was 155#)
Time- 10:03

Strength: 
Hatch Squat Program Week 2 Day 1
Backsquat- 1x10 @60%, 1x8 @65%, 1x6 @70%, 1x6 @75%, 1x6 @80%
Frontsquat- 1x5 @60%, 1x5 @70%, 2x5 @75%

Workout 2 (30 minutes)
WOD: 
3 min Assault Bike (moderate pace)
3 Rounds for Time:
10 Cal Assault Bike
5 Strict HSPU
5 Ring Dips
3 min Assault Bike (moderate pace)
Time- less than ten min.

Strength:
50 ab mat sit-ups
5x5 Strict Press as heavy as possible

Workout 3 (<45 minutes)
WOD: 
11 min AMRAP 
10 OHS @65/95#
5 Burpee Box Jumps @20"/24"
10 Toes to Bar
Score- 7+16

Strength: 
Clean and Jerk practice- as high as possible 

Workout 4 (1 hour)
WOD:

1 Power Snatch every :15x16 (4:00)
1 Power Clean Push Jerk every :15x16 (4:00)@75% of Snatch


Strength:
Hatch Squat Program Week 2 Day 2
Backsquat- 1x10 @60%, 1x8 @70%, 1x8 @75%, 1x8 @80%
Frontsquat- 1x5 @60%, 1x5 @65%, 2x5 @70%

WOD 2:
Every minute on the minute (EMOM)x8 Min
2 Ring Muscle Ups
10 Burpees


Workout 5 (50min)
40 min AMRAP
With a partner or just working every other minute
100 Cal Assault Bike
100 American Kettlebell Swings @35#
100 Burpees
Score- 2+71

Food is equally as important to me as fitness... they go together in my mind. I am an ambassador for Girl Meets Strong, an organization geared at creating positive body image, strength and confidence in women and girls- they interviewed me about my philosophy behind the way I eat and how I got started changing my diet... if you are interested here is the article :) HOW TO EAT CLEAN AND GET LEAN



Meal Prep! (two hours total)
On the Menu: Taco Meat, Chili, Stir-fried Veggies, Chicken Kabobs, Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash, Grilled Chicken, Rice



How I did it: 
I started by roasting the spaghetti squash and getting the rice going. While those cooked I started on my chili. When I added the ground beef to the chili I started another pan for the taco meat and added beef there too, cooking both at the same time. I also drained the fat and added my seasonings at the same time to the chili and taco meat. Once they were done and simmering I started on cutting vegetables for kabobs and buffalo chicken dish. Then cutting the chicken for the same two dishes. As I go I add things to containers- like the rice that was finished. I strung the kabobs and sent Matt outside to grill them. I used my frozen stir-fry Costco veggies so those in a skillet over high heat for a few minutes and ready for containers! Finally I began the spaghetti squash dish. All done! 



Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash
This is something I used to make and haven't in a long time- so the idea to make it again came from someone I work with, Eddie, who has lost a lot of weight just changing his diet and then training and completing his first marathon- impressive. I changed up the recipe just a bit, but it is so good- even better the next day. 

- 3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, about 2lbs, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Spaghetti Squash, cooked (I roast mine- cut in half, de-seed, place cut side down on a cookie sheet for 45 min- 1 hour @400 degrees)
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Hot Sauce (I use Frank's Red Hot)
- 2 Cups Red Cabbage, shredded or finely chopped
- 2 Cups Carrots, matchstick or finely chopped
- Green Onion
- Bleu Cheese

1. In a large skillet over medium heat add a drizzle of oil and the onions and garlic. Cook 3 minutes until softened. Add the chicken. Cook through, 7-10 min)



2. Scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash and add it to the pan. Stir. Add the hot sauce and carrots and cabbage, stir. Taste for salt. Top with green onion and bleu cheese. 



Based on 6 1.5-cup(estimate) servings:
Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 240
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 6 g9 %
Saturated Fat 2 g11 %
Monounsaturated Fat 3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 88 mg29 %
Sodium 1105 mg46 %
Potassium 285 mg8 %
Total Carbohydrate 11 g4 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g10 %
Sugars 6 g
Protein 35 g70 %
Vitamin A170 %
Vitamin C37 %
Calcium5 %
Iron3 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
Chili
- 1.5lbs Stew Beef cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1lb Ground Beef
- 1 20-oz Can Pineapple tidbits in juice
- 1 28-oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 15-oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1 8-oz (Small) Can Tomato Paste
- 2 Cans Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper


1. In a large dutch-over or pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and steak. Cook the steak until browned on all sides, about 3-5 minutes. (it does not need to be cooked through.) Remove from pan.
2. Reduce the heat to medium. Add a drizzle of oil, the onion, garlic and a little salt. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
3.  Add the ground beef and brown, breaking it up as much as possible. If there is a lot of fat in the pan at this point I would drain it. My beef was lean so I didn't. Add the spices. 
4. After the spices are fragrant, add the pineapple (with juice), the browned stew beef and all the cans of tomato products. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer about an hour. Taste for salt.

Based on 8 2-cup(about two "ladle full") servings:

Nutrition Facts
Servings 8.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 461
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 14 g21 %
Saturated Fat 5 g25 %
Monounsaturated Fat 4 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 95 mg32 %
Sodium 1635 mg68 %
Potassium 978 mg28 %
Total Carbohydrate 43 g14 %
Dietary Fiber 11 g44 %
Sugars 15 g
Protein 40 g80 %
Vitamin A42 %
Vitamin C73 %
Calcium13 %
Iron39 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment