Sunday, December 18, 2016

Meal Prep and Weekly Workouts (Vol. 3) Spaghetti Pie, Chicken Tortilla Casserole, Beef Stew, Apricot Chicken Meatballs, Roasted Sweet Potatoes


Almost to winter break- we can do it! Trying to keep moving even though I am tired and want to eat all the cookies. This time of year is rough. It would be easy to make excuses, but I have found that as much as I don't want to get up early, workout, meal prep, etc. I am so glad I did when I finish. On the outside I might look like I am doing pretty well- I am feeling great workout-wise, finally!, I am keeping my patience at work with students, and my home is fairly clean and decorated for the holidays. Reality- I am on the struggle bus- I am taking deep breaths to not lose it at home. I am so behind at work... this week, to justify working out, I graded lab reports in between squat sets. It reminded me of eating a cookie on a treadmill, stressing and de-stressing at the same time. I was videoing my squats to make sure I was at depth because weight is getting heavy, and captured this moment- Annie wanting to play fetch, Charlie in the background watching a show to give me 30 min of "me" time and grading next to my squat rack. This is life. 


Weekly Workouts:

Workout 1 (45 min)
WOD:
12 min Clock
5 min AMRAP 
Full Clean and Jerk @165/113
2 min Rest
5 min AMRAP
Burpee Box Jumps @24"/20"

Strength
5x5
Bench Press increasing weight each set
10 Strict Pull-ups between each set

Workout 2 (30 minutes)
Strength: 
Hatch Squat Program Week 4 Day 1
Backsquat- 1x8 @65%, 1x8 @70%, 1x6 @80%, 1x6 @85%
Frontsquat- 1x5 @70%, 1x5 @75%, 1x5 @80%, 1x5 @85%

Workout 3 (<30 min)
WOD: 
90 Double Unders
70 AKBS @53/35#
50 Wall Balls @20/14#
30 Hand-stand Push-ups
10 Muscle Ups

Workout 4 (1 Hour)
8:00 AMRAP
5 Full Snatch @155/103
3 Bar Muscle Ups
2:00 Rest
For Time:
"DT"
5RFT
12 Deadlifts @155/103
9 Hang Power Cleans @155/103
6 Jerks @155/103

Workout 5 (1 Hour)
Partner Workout: 
20:00 AMRAP
1:00 On/1:00 Off Alternating
100 Cal Assault Bike
100 Gobblet Squats w/ KB
100 Burpees

Hatch Squat Program Week 4 Day 2
Backsquat- 1x8 @65%, 1x8 @70%, 1x8 @75%, 1x8 @80%
Frontsquat- 1x5 @60%, 1x5 @65%, 2x5 @70%


Meal Prep (2.5 hours):

Just three days of work this week!! Yay! For meal prep this week we tried some new recipes. Looking to keep our eating mostly on track through the holidays. :)




On the Menu!

Spaghetti Pie, Chicken Tortilla Casserole, Beef Stew, Apricot Chicken Meatballs, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Baked Chicken, Santa's Popcorn, Almond-Crusted Walleye (being made later this week)


How I did it:

Beef stew in the crockpot was first, chop, put everything in, done. Next the chicken when in the oven because I needed it for other recipes. Then I started on the chicken meatballs (recipe below.) When they went in the oven I got my sweet chili sauce done and started on the spaghetti pie (recipe below.) Water boiling for the noodles and chorizo in the skillet sautéing- the meatballs came out and were tossed in the sauce, done. Spaghetti pie assembled and put in the oven, done. The chicken came out and I started on the two sauces I would need for the casserole (recipe below.) When those were done the chicken was cool enough to touch and so I cut all of it and assembled the casserole, done. 

Apricot Chicken Meatballs

(inspired by Primal Cravings)
- 2 lbs Ground Chicken
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Apricot Jam
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sweet Chili Sauce (homemade or store bought)

Sauce (*warning! I liked this sauce, but Matt did not :) he thought the vinegar was too much- it reads like a sweet and sour. I think I will play with it and maybe increase the jam and decrease the vinegar- oh well- more for Charlie and me!) 
- 1/2 Cup Apricot Jam
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

1. In a large bowl combine the chicken through chili sauce. Mix well with your hands. Drop tablespoon sized mounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet. They are "loose" looking and that's ok. I made 30 meatballs
2. Bake 18-20 minutes. 
3. While they bake, combine the jam through the chili sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the water and arrowroot powder together and slowly add it to the saucepan while whisking. Increase the heat and bring to a boil until it thickens slightly. When the meatballs come out, toss them in the sauce. 




Spaghetti Pie

(inspired by Cooking Light)
- 1 lb Chorizo
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz Gluten-free Spaghetti
- 2 Eggs
- 1 14-oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 10 oz Baby Spinach
- 3/4 Cup Part-skim Mozzarella 

1. Bring water to a boil and cook the pasta for 8 minutes (It will not be done.)
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of oil, onion, and garlic. Saute 5 minutes. Add the chorizo and cook while breaking it apart as much as possible. 

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Put a large cast-iron skillet in the over to pre-heat.

3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the hot pasta and toss. Add the chorizo mixture and pasta sauce. In the same skillet, add another drizzle of oil and saute the spaghetti until it is wilted. Add that to the bowl as well as 1/2 cup cheese. 

4. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and spray it with olive oil cooking spray. Add the spaghetti mixture, top with the rest of the cheese. Bake 15 minutes until bubbly. 


Chicken Tortilla Casserole

(inspired by Cooking Light)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp All-purpose Flour
- 1 Cup 2% Milk
- 1/2 Cup Low-Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 4-oz 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese
- 1 Can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Cooked Chicken Breasts, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 4 ounces Baked Tortilla Chips, crumbled
- 1.5 Cups Enchilada Sauce, homemade (recipe previously posted)
- 3/4 Cup Shredded Cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper; cook 6 minutes. Add flour; cook 1 minute. Gradually add the milk and stock, stirring constantly; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in the spices and cream cheese. 
2. Spread 1/2 cup milk mixture over the bottom of a glass baking dish. Layer beans, 1/2 the chicken, and 1/2 the chips. Top with 1/2 cup milk mixture, the rest of the chicken, the rest of the chips. Top with the rest of the milk mixture and enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake for 30 minutes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment