Thursday, October 20, 2016

Acai Bowls and Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats

I appreciate all the positive responses to my post last week! I think some people misinterpreted what I was saying- I am not unexcited to have a child and I know they are worth it (most days), I was more just saying it's a mental mind f-ck for someone that has a life and diet which are very controlled and centered around fitness to not be in control and to deal with body changes. But handstands are still going strong, workouts are slow, but at least I am still doing them. We did death-by-burpees on Tuesday (one burpee minute one, two minute two, etc. until you can't go anymore) and I did 17+13 which is not my best, but not too shabby for this gal lately. :) Monday's workout which was all barbell was not the same story- huge struggle. But as I have always said, a bad workout is *usually* better than none!


In other news, I am excited to head to LA this weekend to work with Girl Meets Strong and their "I Choose Strong" campaign. We are doing a free community workout, some video shoots and filming for a product they are launching with workouts, recipes, etc. to get people started and off plateaus. Matt is coming with so it's also a bonus weekend out of town to relax with him since life has been a bit chaotic lately. Woohoo! Stay tuned! 
Anyone sick of eggs? I know I get sick of the eggs/potato/avocado breakfast I eat 6 mornings a week. So on Monday mornings I try to workout at 6am so I can pick Charlie up right after school... it also means I am eating breakfast on the go and need something with carbs to replenish what I just spent... overnight oats are my go-to! If I have the oatmeal I add a protein shake to my morning for the protein aspect. If I have some time at home after my workout, or Charlie wants to help, I go with the more fun and pretty acai bowl. It would depend if I had added vanilla protein powder to the bowl or not- but here I also add a protein shake if there is none in the smoothie. 

Acai Bowls

(makes one big bowl or two smaller ones)


The idea for these bowls came from an afternoon I spent with Charlie in Birmingham, MI. A fairly expensive city where I get my eyebrows done. :) She was so good at the salon, when she asked with a smoothie I said sure and we stopped at a place we were walking past... I should have known it would be a lot of money since the menu had no prices and everything was grass-fed-organic-all natural- no added anything. So $11 dollars later my child had a smoothie and I was left thinking, what the hell? It's freakin' fruit. The most expensive ingredient in her smoothie was acai. A berry that has become increasingly popular for it's antioxidant properties. I don't know what they used, but I found acai powder (just the dehydrated fruit ground up) on sale at Whole Foods, for a steal of $25/bag. I almost choked and scrapped the whole idea for this recipe- but after pondering it I realized I was only using 1-2 tsp per batch and this bag would last me a very long time.  
You can top your bowl with whatever you want, or drink the smoothie plain. It's a favorite with Charlie. 

- 1 Cup Milk (your choice)
- 1/2 Banana
-1 Cup Unsweetened Frozen Fruit (strawberries, blueberries, etc)
- 2 tsp Acai Powder
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (optional)

1. Blend everything in a high-powered blender until smooth. 



If it is too thick, add more milk. 


Toppings!






- Granola- I made homemade Paleo (grain-free) granola for mine :) It is really easy and super tasty. I have multiple recipes on my blog, but I used this one: Quick/Easy Paleo Granola
- Unsweetened Coconut
- Honey Drizzle
- Fresh Banana
- Chia Seeds
- Fresh Fruit

Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats


- 1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Small Apple, grated
- 1-2 tsp Honey (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds

1. Put in a jar. Shake. Let it sit in the fridge overnight. Can be eaten cold or warm :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment