Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Glazed Flank Steak- for quesadillas, salads and more!

This summer I am finally being productive. It is about time I got my shit together, right? I noticed this year I have an abundance of crafts and art from my creative toddler- not that I am insensitive (ok, maybe I am a little) but I don't want to keep everything she does. So I started taking pictures of her art, then throwing it away. Using Shutterfly, I set out to make a book of her art from age 3- there it would be preserved without cluttering my house. As I started I thought, why not put in main events from the year?? What do you really do with all the pictures you take anyway? So I made categories- adventures, her birthday, vacations we took, etc. Each section themed with a color. 75 pages later and I had a book condensing the third year of my Charlie's life! It is perfect. Now that I have done it once I feel like I should go back and do it for her first two years, and definitely will be doing it from now on. It can be something of an album of books when she is 18 and something to look back on when she has her own kids. Mom of the year right here... first time I have had a "mom win" in a while. Maybe I am secretly a Pinterest mom after all...??... nah... did you see her birthday party? lol. Oops. 


Other than the one moment of productivity I have been busy floating in the pool, working out, and de-stressing. Not a shabby day when you have a puppy, a happy child, some Starbucks and some sunshine! 


Okay, okay, I have been a little more productive than that... if you want workout ideas I have been posting a 2 min video on my FB page of some ideas... this week we hit the pool! It was too hot for anything else. 


You know what rivals marinating? Glazing. Mmmm. It creates that usually sticky, gooey gloriousness on the outside of meat that makes you want to lick your fingers. This glaze is Asian-inspired and would also be great on pork or chicken. I cook the meat for a few minutes on each side first before applying the glaze- so nearer the end of the whole cooking process. 




Glazed Flank Steak

- 1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/4 Cup Rice Vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 2 Tbsp Honey (or coconut sugar)
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1.5-2lbs Flank Steak (or skirt steak)
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil

Pre-heat the grill
1. In a small saucepan, combine the first four ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes- stirring frequently. Until it thickens slightly- you should have 1/3+ cups left.
2. Rub the steak with the sesame oil, place it on the grill, after a few minutes (depending on how done you want it) flip it once before brushing on the glaze. Make sure to glaze both sides!


Ideas for use....

Quesadillas!

Matt and I grilled some bell peppers, jalapeno and onions from our garden and made quesadillas! We also tested out our grill pan and even grilled the quesadillas. 



I also made a quick guacamole by using a ripe avocado, lime juice, tomatoes from the garden, and garlic salt... I just eye-balled it and went off taste! Yum!!


Matt love his little Annie-girl




Salad!

I made a quick salad with veggies from my garden, sliced steak and a homemade avocado dressing
Spicy Avocado Dressing
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Frank's Red Hot
- 1/4 Cup Mayo (I used homemade)
- 1 Green Onion
- 1/2 Lime Juice (about 2-3 Tbsp)
- Dash of Cayenne depending on how spicy you want it
- Splash of Milk to thin it out
- Salt and Pepper

Combine all of the above in a blender or food processor. Thin it out with milk (or even better would be buttermilk!) as much as you want. Store in a air-tight container for up to 5 days. 



1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    I found your blog after one of my friends shared it with me on Facebook and wanted to run a few things by you. I'm working on a medical delivery project and I think it’s something you could definitely relate to. Let me know if you have a moment to discuss.

    Thanks!

    Andrew

    info@greendoorwestpr.com

    ReplyDelete