Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Egg and Spinach Pizza (Paleo)

What a fun Thanksgiving break!!! Matt and I hosted Thanksgiving because we like cooking and I know my mom is sick of it. :) She still cooked a lot though! We smoked a turkey and roasted one... I got to set the table all pretty and there was plenty of wine... It was fantastic. 



We also had a black tie wedding to attend Saturday night at the Masonic Temple in Detroit for the owners of our gym. My sister, Mara, rented a bunch of dresses so I wore one of those because why let it go to waste?! If you are not wanting to buy a formal dress I suggest "Rent the Runway"... so many pretty dresses that my friends wore were from there. Mine got stepped on though and I might be owning it in the future if it is too damaged... eek! 



Now that Thanksgiving is over I have three weeks before Winter Break Starts... time to clean up my diet for a bit. I am usually really, really good, but lately I have been really, really bad. I attribute this to my happiness but at some point I need to realize it is hurting my workouts and making me feel bad when I get dressed in the morning. I decided to put some healthy things on my classic paleo pizza crust. If you haven't made it yet you really should... it's the closest I have ever gotten to traditional pizza and mimics a crunchy thin crust. I couldn't find pizza sauce that didn't have sugar, etc. in it so I used a can of crushed tomatoes with some italian seasoning and salt. 


Egg and Spinach Pizza 

- 4+ Eggs (1 separate for the crust)
- 1 Cup Potato Starch (NOT potato flour)
- 1/2 Cup Tapioca Flour/Starch
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Warm Water
- 10 oz Chopped Frozen Spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 Cup Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

1. In a bowl whisk the starches and baking powder. Whisk the olive oil, water and one egg. Add this to the flours and whisk until smooth. Pour this (yes, pour, it will be liquid) onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and spread it out as large and even as possible. Mine is roughly 13"x9". Bake 15-20 minutes until golden and crispy on the bottom.



Remove from the oven. Turn up the heat to 500 degrees.



2. Top the pizza with the sauce, seasoning and salt. 



Add the spinach on top. Carefully place 3-4 eggs on top of the spinach. Bake another 10-15minutes until the eggs are cooked through the whites but the yolk is still runny. Cook it longer if you want your eggs done more. 


Nutrition Facts
Servings 4.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 446
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 18 g28 %
Saturated Fat 3 g17 %
Monounsaturated Fat 12 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 164 mg55 %
Sodium 1418 mg59 %
Potassium 687 mg20 %
Total Carbohydrate 64 g21 %
Dietary Fiber 6 g23 %
Sugars 3 g
Protein 10 g20 %
Vitamin A146 %
Vitamin C34 %
Calcium32 %
Iron63 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment