Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Deconstructed Sushi Rolls- Tuna Sashimi Bowl

It is hard to believe I only have four weeks left of summer vacation- I know for a lot of people that's all they get in a year for vacation, but it just seems like it has flown by! I am glad I got to do things this summer with Charlie that previous summers I haven't... the pool and zoo are standards for us. :) Two of my favorite things were going to Suttons Bay and Sleeping Bear Dunes in Northern Michigan and sitting and watching a parade with her. Small town parades remind me of my childhood and since I live in a small town, getting to walk to the parade, pulling her in her red wagon just took me back- plus she loves firetrucks. 


Northern Michigan... one of those places that is not far away from me (less than 4 hours) but feels like you are in a different state completely. There's vineyards, small downtowns, and water everywhere. One day I would love a house up there for summers. I can dream, right? :) 


I'm going to have to go back to the dunes without her so I can hike a bit further... and also I hope the weather is warmer!


About the food!
This dish was inspired by two things... one, my friend Kelly had described something she made that sounded fantastic with a poached egg on top...and two, I really love sushi rolls and have been wanting to go, but besides the rice and edamame, Charlie would prefer to pass so we haven't gone. I have made rolls at home before, but it is so much easier to just throw the ingredients in a bowl- especially on a weeknight. Although this was for my table of one on a Monday night, I think it's pretty enough for a home date night? Or turn the ingredients into actual rolls if you are feeling fancy! 
When people say they don't like sushi I think they mean they don't like "sashimi"....
The word "sashimi" means raw fish that is thinly sliced. It is usually tuna or salmon and I know it can be hard to find in the average grocery store. I went to an Asian market/sushi restaurant (Noble Fish! <3) to get mine... salmon is cheaper, but I prefer tuna! 
"Sushi" is just short grain rice that is mixed with vinegar (and usually sugar)... "sushi rolls" don't have to contain any fish and it certainly doesn't have to be raw. 


Deconstructed Sushi Rolls- Tuna Sashimi Bowl

(Two Bowls)
- 1 Cup Cooked Sushi Rice (short grain)
- Rice Vinegar (or white)
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Japanese (thin) Cucumber or 1/4 English Cucumber (seedless)
- 6-8 oz Tuna Sashimi (or salmon)
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1-2 Sheets of Nori, or Roasted Seaweed, cut into thin strips or use as a wrap even!
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (or gluten free soy)
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce *this can be omitted if you don't have it
- 1/2 tsp Wasabi Paste (more or less to taste)

1. Start your rice cooking, mine took 30 minutes.



2. Fake pickle your cucumber and carrot.... using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, shred the carrots and cucumber into thin strips. 



Place in a bowl with a few tablespoons of rice vinegar. Toss to coat. Let them sit while you prepare everything else, toss every now and then.


3. The Sauce... mix the coconut aminos, fish sauce and wasabi together. set aside.



4. Assemble... give each bowl 1/2 cup of rice....



top with the remaining ingredients....



oh boy... this tuna...

drizzle with the sauce...



 I wasn't even hungry and I couldn't stop...



No comments:

Post a Comment