When Charlie naps I like to make food so I can enjoy my time with her when she is awake. Cooking also keeps my mind off of other things... I won't go into detail but let's just say men are frustrating! Anyway....On the menu today: Orange Chicken! One of my favorite dishes at chinese restaurants, but it is usually fried and definitely not paleo. Here is my version with some vegetable short cuts to make my life easier. This is even quick enough to make on a weeknight. On a side note: this picture does not do this recipe justice- I was getting impatient waiting for the sauce to reduce :)
Paleo Orange Chicken
Sauce:- 1 Tbl. Orange zest
- Juice of 1-2 oranges (looking for about a 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbl. Coconut Aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 Tbl. White Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Fish Sauce
- 2 gloves of garlic (minced or grated)
- 1 tsp. Fresh ginger (minced or grated)
- 1 Tbl. Honey
- 1 Tbl. arrow root powder
Put all of the ingredients in a jelly or mason jar and shake. Set aside.
Chicken and Veggies:
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 3 Tbl. arrow root powder
- 1 small onion (or half a large)- finely chopped
- 3-4 cups of veggies... I used two bags of frozen, steamfresh mixed veggies to save time
Directions:- Massage the chicken with the arrow root powder.
- In a skillet over medium high heat- drizzle some oil and add the chicken and onions. Cook 4-5 minutes until cooked through.
- This is when I cooked my steam fresh veggies in the microwave, but if you are using fresh steam the veggies until they are firm but not completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and toss with the veggies.
- In the same skillet, add the sauce and simmer until it starts to thicken.
- Add the veggies and chicken back in to coat- the sauce should thicken and become like a glaze.
ENJOY!!! I eat it plain but if you follow a clean eating/gluten free versus paleo it would be fantastic!