Thursday, October 26, 2017

Wake-Me-Up! Protein Shake

Good Morning! 
It is crazy how much you forget about babies! I am still adjusting to getting up every 1-2 hours in the night to nurse, then I get up before 6am to drop off Charlie at school in the morning, pump so I have milk for when I stop nursing, and attempt to make it to the gym or workout at home, all while keeping a newborn happy. Phew! It has been discovered that my typical egg and potatoes will not be happening for me right now, therefore I am looking for alternative options that combine my coffee need with my need for food and my lack of time. So here it is! My "wake-me-up" protein shake combining protein, carbs, and coffee... perfect to make, store in the fridge, and drink on the go so I can do everything that needs to be done for my two girls and me in the gym all before 9am.  



It is made with a few ingredients to help my milk supply because I am nursing and pumping extra for later- brewer's yeast and ground flax seed- but neither will hurt if you aren't nursing, obviously :) and both are great for someone working out! I know there is a warning against drinking too much caffeine while nursing, but I also need to function so oh well. I have been making this as my afternoon "pick me up" but it is also great made the night before and is ready to grab in the morning. 

Wake-Me-Up Protein Shake 

- 3/4 Cup Room-temp or Cold Coffee (preferably strong)
- 1/4 Cup Milk 
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder (I use a Whey Chocolate)
- 1/2 Very Ripe Banana (frozen preferably)
- 1/4 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Tbsp Peanut or Nut Butter
- 1 tsp De-bittered Brewer's Yeast*
- 1 tsp Ground Flaxseed*
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds*

*Optional* but nutritious! 

Put everything in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy right away or keep in the fridge until morning! 
Nutrition Facts
Servings 1.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 449
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 14 g21 %
Saturated Fat 3 g15 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5 mg2 %
Sodium 308 mg13 %
Potassium 461 mg13 %
Total Carbohydrate 42 g14 %
Dietary Fiber 8 g32 %
Sugars 13 g
Protein 42 g84 %
Vitamin A3 %
Vitamin C10 %
Calcium22 %
Iron14 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment