Quick and Delicious Steak MarinadeI have made this two weeks in a row...and I usually don't love steak... but something about this I love! I really recommend you let the steak marinate around a day... but 12+ hours would be your minimum goal. I bought my flank steak at Costco, they come in a 2-pack so I usually freeze one and save one, but if you are cooking for a bigger crowd than our three-person family I would do both. We have enough leftovers for 1-2 more meals when we cook one steak. I served mine with jalapenos I also grilled, rice, broccoli and soy sauce.
- 1.5lbs Flank Steak (or skirt)
- 1 Can Beer (cheap is fine!)
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Sprinkle of Black Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes, or a fresh jalapeno chopped if you have that on hand!
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, or zip-lock bag, and add the steak, flipping it to coat. Let it marinate close to 24 hours. Grill to your desired done-ness, flipping once. Discard the marinade.
Cilantro-Lime ChickenI served this with a black bean, corn and avocado salad... so good! It was also a hit with Charlie who loves everything in that salad.
- 2-3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 2-3 lbs)
- Juice and Zest of 2-3 Limes
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- Handful of Fresh Cilantro leaves, chopped (about 1/4 Cup)
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
Combine everything in a bowl or zip-lock bag. Marinate 3-4 hours+, discard marinade. Grill to perfection!
(inspired by Giada's... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/corn-and-black-bean-salad-with-basil-lime-vinaigrette-recipe-1944044)
Black Bean, Corn and Avocado Salad
- 2 15-ounce Cans Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Ears Fresh Corn (or 1ish Cup frozen sweet corn)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Large Mango, chopped
- 1-2 Avocados, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2 Limes, juiced and zested
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
Combine everything and gently toss. Let it sit in the fridge at least 30 min before serving. This is so colorful and pretty and tastes better by the hour. If you are not serving it right away, do not add the avocado until the day you are going to eat it.
Lemon-Rosemary Marinated Chicken
One of my favorite marinades from last summer... I used Thyme instead of rosemary and omitted the grill seasoning because I didn't have any and it was delicious served with broccoli and rice for the family!
- 1.5-2lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Lemons, juiced, 1 Zested
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil (I eye-balled it)
- 1 Tbsp Grill Seasoning (I used Salt-Free Mural of Flavor from Penzey's Spices)
- 2 Large Sprigs Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Mustard (I used Spicy Dijon)
- Salt and Pepper
In a large bag or bowl combine all of the ingredients. Roll the chicken around in the marinade and let it sit 4+ hours. Remove from the marinate and grill or bake the chicken.