Sunday, January 29, 2017

Weekly Workouts and Meal Plans (Vol. 7)

Last week I competed in The Great Lakes Games- I was filling in for a friend who wasn't feeling well enough to compete-- although I am not mentally or physically where I would want to be to compete, I didn't want the other five members of the team to be screwed over by losing a person, nor did I want one of my best friends competing when it was probably not a good idea for her body's well-being. I like team competitions, and it was a fun day being down in Detroit. 

When I was flipping through the pictures the next day, I saw one that was similar to a picture taken around this same time last year- aside from my tan, the most distinct difference is my weight. Students always ask about what I eat, how I train, etc. and I always tell them I am not going for a "look," I am going for a feeling. I want to feel strong and healthy. Although if you asked me a year ago I probably would have said I felt good, I don't know if I have ever felt as good as I do now- some of my olympic lifts still lack confidence so those numbers aren't impressive- but overall, at the gym, I am happy, movements feel strong and I am relaxed and having fun- just what it is supposed to be like. I have always had a complex about the number on the scale, but I am finding these days I just don't care as long as I feel good in the gym and that confidence about my body and weight is a good feeling my friends. :) 

I am still writing workouts for friends... so this link will take you to them... I will be updating them on Sundays- feel free to follow along! 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HVm2PSCWl0NC9QFJBap6Jk2vcDam2Wi7bIQ0-NlyuEs/edit?usp=sharing



I am trying a new method of organization and utilizing my planner I got as a present from my friend Amber for Christmas. Writing my workouts in it, as well as my grocery lists and meal plans, and to-do lists so everything is in the same place. Easy! You can see my workouts this week at the bottom! 

Meal Plans


This week I am trying something new here too... I have grocery shopped and am ready to go for the week, but I am going to be cooking every night. I pulled 5 recipes from Cooking Light which take 25 minutes or less and use some of the same ingredients so shopping was easy. Friday night will be "leftover night." It takes me 15-20 minutes to get everything out and heated for the family anyway so maybe this will work just as quickly! For lunches, Matt and I are keeping it super easy- stir-fried frozen veggies from Costco, baked chicken and rice. Conveniently neither of us mind eating the same thing every day. :) We also could pack leftovers if there are any! 

These are mainly the Cooking Light Recipe, I just made some adjustments to ingredients so I didnt have to buy as many different things and measure so much! So what am I making? 

- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Tacos

(20 minutes)
Time Savers- On Sunday I shredded and washed the lettuce. While the chicken cooks I will make the bleu cheese and hot sauce mixtures. 
1 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 2)
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp Frank's Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp Butter
1/2 tsp Red Pepper
2 Tbsp Buttermilk (I am using regular milk with a smidge of lemon juice)
2 Tbsp Mayonaise
1/4 Cup Bleu Cheese
1 Head Romain Lettuce, shredded
Tortillas

1. Cut the chicken in half to form "cutlets" This is like "buterflying" the chicken but cutting all the way through. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Heat a grill pan over medium high heat and cook the chicken about 2-3 minutes on each side until done. Remove and slice.
2. Combine the hot sauce, butter, and red pepper. Add it to the chicken and toss. 
3. Combine the mayo, buttermilk, bleu cheese and lettuce. Toss together. Fill each tortilla with chicken and lettuce and enjoy!

- Grilled Chicken Breasts with Satay Sauce

2 tsp Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Lime Zest
Pinch of Salt
4 Small, Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 1.5 lbs)
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
1.5 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Siracha
1 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
1 Garlic Clove, minced 

1. Combine sugar through salt and rub evenly over the chicken. Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray and cook the chicken 5-7 minutes on each side until done. Remove from pan and let it rest.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken. 


- Cheesy Chicken Cutlets with ham and jam

2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into cutlets (sliced in half width-wise)
Salt and Pepper
1/4 Cup Blackberry Jam
4 Slices Deli Ham (About 1/4 lb)
4 Slices Havarti Cheese (About 1/4lb)
Green Onion

1. Preheat the broiler and place the oven rack 6" from the heat. 
2. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Spray with olive oil cooking spray. Cook the chicken 3-4 minutes (flipping half way) until done. 
3. Top with jam, ham, scallions, and cheese. Place under the broiler 2-3 minutes until cheese browns.


- Steak and Mushroom Pizza-dillas

1/2 lb Flank Steak, thinly sliced (the original recipe is Top Sirloin)
1 Tbsp Butter
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
8-oz Cremini Mushrooms
1 Cup Cheese
Tortillas
Marinara Sauce


1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add steak to pan; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Place steak in a medium bowl.
2. Add butter to pan; swirl until butter melts. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic, and mushrooms; cook 6 minutes or until mushrooms brown and liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms to steak; toss to combine.
3. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons cheese evenly over half of each tortilla. Divide steak mixture evenly among tortillas; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Fold tortillas in half over filling. Carefully coat both sides of quesadillas with cooking spray. Place 2 quesadillas in pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned and cheese melts. Repeat with remaining quesadillas. Cut each into 4 wedges. Serve with marinara.


- Mongolian Beef and Vegetables with Sesame Noodles

1 lb Flank Steak 
1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder (the original recipe uses corn starch)
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Water
3 Tbsp Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
2 tsp Oil (I am using avocado oil)
2 tsp Sesame Oil
4 Cups Broccoli Florets
1 Small, Sweet Onion, thinly sliced
1/2 Cup Sliced Carrot
1 Cup Snap Peas, cut in half
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 tsp Fresh Grated Ginger

1. Place steak and cornstarch in a bowl; toss to coat. Combine sugar, 3 tablespoons water, and soy sauce in a bowl, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
2. Heat a large skillet over high. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil; swirl to coat. Add steak to pan in a single layer; cook 5 minutes or until done, stirring occasionally. Remove steak from pan; keep warm.3. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining 1 teaspoon canola oil and remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil to pan. Add broccoli, onion, and carrot; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add snow peas, garlic, and ginger; cook 1 minute. Add steak and soy sauce mixture to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Serve immediately.

Sesame Noodles

6 oz Soba Noodles (I don't have any so I am using whole wheat spaghetti)
1.5 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
2 tsp Sesame oil
2 tsp Hoisin Sauce
1/4 Cup Green Onion Slices

Cook the noodles and toss with the remaining ingredients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment