Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Simple Chocolate Chia Protein Shake

This past weekend was my dad's birthday. I am almost positive he loves my daughter more than he loves me. I am so grateful that my parents spend so much time with her and have such a great bond, because family is so important to me. Charlie helped make his cake with my mom...  the "Perfect Chocolate Cake."



I think I have mentioned my detest for wall balls before...well I got to do 150 of them at a 10 foot target tonight and what a good time that was. CrossFit has a way of showing your weaknesses and, in this case, I also got to get hit in the face with mine, literally. Stupid wall balls- I now must do them all the time. 


To cap off my night I got to have dinner with my friend Kelly, and of course my sidekick was along for the ride. Our conversation got me thinking... one of the worst things my parents could say to me growing up was that they were disappointed in me. They could ground me, take things away, whatever, but saying that was the worst. Now that I am an adult (apparently) one of the worst feelings is someone disappointing me- when you expect someone to do something, say something, or even not do something and they do it... changing who you thought they were and you are just left with disappointment. Ouch. On the way home I was checking my Instagram and I saw the quote, "We met for a reason, either you're a blessing or a lesson." Now I will disagree that sometimes people are both, but I feel like I have been learning a lot of lessons lately. Well played life, well played, I get it- smacked in the face again.  


This shake came out of my need to use up the mass amount of chia seeds I have and also get more protein/calories in my diet. I do better when I can drink my calories. Chia seeds are shown to curb hunger due to their fiber content and contain omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidents. Powerful little things! I have used them in previous recipes like chia seed jam and pudding if you are interested. In the shake if it is not blended well enough they are a little crunchy, but I don't mind that. :)  

Chocolate Chia Banana Protein Shake

- 1 Tbsp Chia Seed (heaping)
- 8 oz Milk (any kind, or water... or chilled COFFEE!)
- 1 Frozen Banana (or less milk and a few ice cubes if it is not frozen)
- 1 Scoop Protein Powder

1. Put everything in a blender (liquid first) and blend on high until smooth. Try it with some frozen strawberries too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment