Sunday, November 23, 2014

Peppermint Brownies

Are you done with pumpkin? I'm done with pumpkin. I know that Thanksgiving is still four days away, but I'm over pumpkin recipes... onto other holidays! My friend Ashley suggested I make something with peppermint mainly because she likes peppermint- I don't care for it much, but since I care for Ashley I decided to make a few peppermint recipes. :) I am also done with everything and need a break... Friday I was really planning on getting to the gym and started my day with a little bulletproof coffee... but nope... I was dead. Camille LeBlanc-Bazinet also posted a similar "I'm exhausted" post and it's good to know people like her burn out too. 

 

Charlie and I have also had quite the week. She is now into make-up thanks to my sister and has been seeking it out. These pictures are one day apart... (sigh.) 



I made these two times in one day and I have two versions for you. Version 1 is more fudge-like and dense, Version 2 is, in my mind, more brownie-like and a bit drier. Both were liked by everyone so it's your call. The only difference is protein powder. Baking powder often contains corn starch- so if you are following a Paleo diet, find one that doesn't follow my note at the bottom, I am going to try just substituting baking soda and I'll make edits as needed. :)



Peppermint Brownies


- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted 
- 4 eggs 
- 1/2 cup raw honey, melted 
- 1 tsp vanilla 
- 3/4 tsp peppermint (oil or extract) 
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
 - pinch of salt 
- 1 tsp baking powder**
 *** 1 scoop (1/4 cup ish) chocolate protein powder***
 - 1/4 cup enjoy life chocolate chips 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
1. Whisk wet ingredients really well. Add cocoa powder a little at a time until smooth. Batter is liquidy. Add coffee and stir.

2. Pour into a greased or parchment lined 8x8 pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake 20-25 minutes. 
3. Let it cool completely- I put mine in the fridge for an hour. Cut and enjoy :) store in the fridge. They are better after a day I think! 
*** This would be for version 2... you can omit this and they are more moist ***


** To make your own baking powder use 2 parts Cream of Tarter for every 1 part Baking Soda

No comments:

Post a Comment