Sunday, January 3, 2016

Sweet Potatoes, Spinach and Ground Turkey- Budget Breakfast Hash!

I love the holidays, but between Christmas and hosting a New Year's party, meal prep was definitely on a budget this week... 



I went into the pantry and freezer to see what I could do about not spending a lot at the grocery store... success!!! I only spent $62 and for a family of three that is pretty damn good. When I make a stir-fry a lot of the ingredients come from Costco. Because the vegetables are in such large portions I cut everything but store what I am not going to make that day in freezer bags so when tight weeks like this come up, or I am busy, I can pull one out, thaw some chicken and I am good to go! 



So on the meal prep agenda this week:
- White Beans with Chicken Sausage and Spinach (recipe to follow later this week)
- Sweet Potatoes, Spinach and Ground Turkey (breakfast)
- Tacos (Charlie needs food too :)
- Chicken and Rice (Matt's new favorite- I cheated and used condensed soup- Find the recipe HERE)
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (recipe to follow later this week)
- Hardboiled Eggs for snacking



I had to buy ground turkey, chicken, potatoes, onions, garlic, spinach, lettuce, grapes, yogurt, milk and eggs... pretty stocked pantry in this house!

My typical breakfast hash of sausage/bacon and sweet potatoes was too expensive for this week- especially feeding a boy now- so I went with ground turkey for the meat- it is cheaper, lower in far and higher in protein. I also added spinach for extra nutrition and will still heat some up in the morning, cook a few eggs and I will be good to go. Maybe with a half of an avocado! ;-) 




Budget Breakfast Hash!- Sweet Potatoes, Spinach and Ground Turkey

(this is A LOT of food- this cost $14 to make and will be plenty for breakfast for two (plus eggs) all week!)
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 3lbs Ground Turkey
- 6-8 Cups Baby Spinach- I used 2/3 of the large bag I bought
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, minced
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 

1. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into small cubes. In a 9x11 inch glass baking dish, toss the sweet potatoes with half the spices and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake 30-40 minutes until they are cooked through- toss 1-2 times while they are baking.
2. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet to medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the onion and saute 3-5 minutes until it is becoming translucent. Add the turkey, stir and break it apart until it is cooked through. Add the rest of the spices. 
3. When the sweet potatoes come out of the oven add the turkey to the pan. In the same skillet the turkey was in, add the spinach. Saute until it is wilted but still bright green. Add this to the turkey and sweet potatoes and mix until combined. 

-- In the morning I cook two eggs and one egg white, heat some of this up, add hot sauce and that's breakfast!--- If I am going to the gym I take the hash as is with no egg and heat it up at work-- Enjoy! 
Servings 12.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 231
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 10 g16 %
Saturated Fat 3 g14 %
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80 mg27 %
Sodium 503 mg21 %
Potassium 301 mg9 %
Total Carbohydrate 9 g3 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g7 %
Sugars 4 g
Protein 22 g45 %
Vitamin A186 %
Vitamin C23 %
Calcium8 %
Iron11 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.


1 comment:

  1. ground beef

    Buy the best ground beef meat with fast delivery. We offer the best ground beef online at an affordable price. Now contact us - 713-734-6328

    to get more - https://farmersfreshmeat.com/shop/ground-beef-100lbs/

    ReplyDelete