Sunday, October 19, 2014

Protein Pumpkin "Mug Cake"

Yesterday I competed in my first only weight-lifting competition. Since I usually rely heavily on my MetCon I thought this would be a great way to test my strength pound-for-pound (I weighed in at 116lbs.) So many people I train with were doing it also... it was awesome! So many Prs... so many strong people! This was my favorite Pr- the deadlift. My last lift of the day... I Pr'd by 20 pounds and hit 295 pounds... so close to the 300 pound club!! I took 3rd in the deadlift and snatch. :)




 I also hit a Pr clean and jerk... I don't know how I didn't fail the clean in this picture. My sister was my spotter and weight-person, loading my bar, etc. I don't know how to describe how much I appreciate her support, and the support of all my friends not competing that came to watch everyone. 


To prepare I tried to watch what I ate this week. Meal prep is so key when you are trying not to fall into bad habits- If you don't have food on-hand and made you usually grab whatever you can when you are hungry.  A lot of people don't understand the training, prep, etc. that goes into something like this, it's probably why people who workout this much stick together!



Friday night a little dessert was in order due to the lack of sugar all week. Mug cakes are pretty popular among college students because you are basically making a mini-cupcake in a coffee cup with a microwave. I used to top mine with ice cream... not Friday... sigh. I  used protein powder as my "flour" base because I didn't want to completely fall off track.



The consistency is a little like a pudding cake, very moist, and I don't make mine very sweet because that's not my thing. It also needs to be done in a big mug because it has a tendency to over flow if you aren't careful. It's not the most beautiful thing when it is done- which is why I am showing you the batter- but it's tasty!



 Protein Pumpkin "Mug Cake"
(Single Servings)

- 1 Scoop Protein Powder (Vanilla or Chocolate)
- 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Any Milk (or Water)
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon (Optional)
- Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (Optional)

1. Mix everything REALLY well in a large coffee cup. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and chocolate chips if you want.
2. Microwave 90 seconds to 2 minutes... careful it will be really hot when it comes out! Watch it the whole time so it doesn't overflow.
I know.... it's not pretty.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 1.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 277
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 3 g5 %
Saturated Fat 2 g8 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 71 mg24 %
Sodium 987 mg41 %
Potassium 310 mg9 %
Total Carbohydrate 32 g11 %
Dietary Fiber 7 g29 %
Sugars 23 g
Protein 34 g68 %
Vitamin A263 %
Vitamin C3 %
Calcium19 %
Iron6 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment