Monday, August 11, 2014

Homemade Maple Turkey Sausage and Zucchini Cake Stacks

This week reminded me of the The Shirelles song, "Momma Said" not because of a romantic relationship, but one with my two-year-old. Two days in a row I swear I didn't know my child. She was crying at every little thing, clinging to me, making a mess every time I turned around, not listening, not staying in time out, taking her clothes off, going to the bathroom in the house, etc. Sigh. These were also the two days I chose not to work out so that didn't help...there was no releif. There is no one that comes home and helps me at any point, there is no adult to talk to at the end of the day, just her and me. Yesterday I was so much at my breaking point I told her I needed time (not that she gets it) put on Mickey Mouse and locked myself in the bathroom to just re-group. I was truly convinced that this weekend when she was with her dad I honestly would welcome the break, but when I went to drop her off with her dad she wouldn't let go of me, didn't want to go to him, and cried real tears as they drove away... just like that I was back... the second they drove out of sight that empty void was back and I missed her. No matter what tough days we have she's so much of my heart I would rather have her little devil version of herself around then not having her at all. 


This is her in her diaper at the zoo because she didn't want to wear clothes and she was about to be fed to the lions so I let her play in public like that... people are lucky no one said anything because they would have regretted it the mood we were both in. :)


I am guilty of buying foods because they are convenient, but when I compare my turkey sausage I made with the purchased turkey sausage I just want to gag... ew... what was I thinking? The one on the left is purchased, the one on the right is mine... if you couldn't tell. Not only can I name every ingredient in the sausage I made, but I know the quality of meat and it tastes so much better in general. 



There is also way too much zucchini happening right now- in a good way. From my friends' posts with their gardens and some very inappropriate appropriate vegetable pictures I know a lot of people have a lot of large zucchinis to use up. These zucchini cakes are a nice texture component and added vegetable serving to breakfast. 

Homemade Maple Turkey Sausage and Zucchini Cake Stacks 

(Printable Version)

The recipes are below. I stacked a zucchini cake with a piece of turkey sausage and poached an egg to go on top. Cook you egg however you want- add hot sauce, slice some avocado...yum!

Maple Turkey Sausage

- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 3/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Thyme 
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Maple Syrup

1. Combine all of the ingredients and mix until spices are evenly distributed.

2. Form the meat into about 10 thin patties... I do this as I add them to the pan, starting with roughly a golf-ball sized scoop of meat per patty. 
3. In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1 Tbsp of oil/fat. Cook each patty about 3-5 minutes per side. Since it is turkey make sure they are cooked thoroughly. 

Zucchini Cakes

- 1 Large Zucchini
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper


1. Shred the zucchini and ring it out in paper towel. The drier the better. 
2. Combine the zucchini and the remaining ingredients. Form the mixture into 4 thin patties- I press mine into the pan as I add them.
3. In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat or spray some oil and cook each zucchini cake 3-5 minutes on each side until golden. 





No comments:

Post a Comment