Monday, January 9, 2017

Weekly Workouts and Meal Prep (Vol. 5) Baked Chicken, Blueberry Muffins, Oven Fajitas, Stew Beef and Chorizo Chili, Crockpot Deconstructed Cabbage Roll Soup, Hard boiled eggs, Veggies, Rice, Roasted Red Skin Potatoes

Working out in the last two months has definitely had its ups and downs. I cried at the gym out of frustration, I dealt with hormones going back down, skills gone MIA in just the short time I took off... then the strength coming back even better than before, the skills back to normal and the emotions more on par with how I am used to feeling. With some of the movements I have a bittersweet feeling- like bar muscle ups- they were the only movement I had stopped while pregnant and what inspired me to write the post about the humbling of being pregnant. Looking back I would take any complication, lose any skill, gain any amount of weight or lost any amount of strength to successfully carry a child, but that's not how this works, is it? It isn't fair, easily explained, or in your control. It's been just over two months now and as those bar muscle ups have returned to their normal success rate, my body has recovered and Matt and I are discussing with our doctors how to move forward and try again, it all feels like a bad dream. Aside from the literal loss, the hardest part of all of this for me was the feeling of failure- I failed to carry a child to term, I failed to give Matt a son, I feel like I failed as a woman. Coupled with my most successful coping mechanism (working out) taking a hit also, it was very mentally trying. Losing a baby and then losing the skills and strength I worked so hard for was like getting hit when you're already down. I know some people don't get it, it's just CrossFit, but it means something to me. It is and was important for me to be a good athlete. I understand with having a baby I was willing to take what came physically, but to take the hit and then not even have the baby is incredibly tough. I have been trying to stay positive moving forward- it's great we have been cleared to try again- but I am still bitter I even have to be trying again. I am supposed to be in my third trimester, not trying again! But just like anything, I am only in control of me, so just like any failure you get up and try again if you really want it. When you fail a lift, hit your shin on a box jump, etc. you don't give up. Maybe it's not that day or that week, but when you're ready mentally you try again. Same in my situation, as much as I am afraid of losing another baby that doesn't mean I won't try. Looking forward into this year I am hopeful I will have my "rainbow baby" and still plan on training through my pregnancy, with the ok from my doctors, and just being more wise when I know my body needs a break. :)


Although I want a rainbow baby, this is "Rainbow" - ironically the name of our group chat that our boyfriends/husbands don't understand and don't want to. These girls are my people, my support, my best friends, and my teammates. 

Workouts! 

Super fast and efficient this week- got the lungs working and the heart pumping. My legs took a beating!!


Workout 1 (<30 min)
WOD:
40 Wall Balls
8 Full Sntaches @135/93
30 WB
6 Snatches
20 WB
4 Sntaches
10 WB
2 Snatches

Workout 2 (20 minutes)
WOD:
7 Min AMRAP
21 Thrusters @75/53
12 Toes to Bar

Workout 3 (1 Hour)

Strength: 
Hatch Squat Program Week 7 Day 1
Backsquat- 1x5 @70%, 1x5 @80%, 1x2 @85%, 1x3 @90%, 1x1 @100%
Frontsquat- 1x5 @65%, 1x4 @75%, 1x4 @80%, 1x4 @85%

WOD:

Death by Full Cleans @123# (1 the first minute, 2 the second, etc. until failure)

Workout 4 (45 minutes)

WOD:
5 Minute AMRAP
40 OHS @95/63
40 Hand-stand Push-ups

WOD 2:

5 Bear Complexes @135/93
10 OTB Burpees
15 Toes to Bar
20 Push-ups
25 Cal Assault Bike

Workout 5 (1 Hour)

Strength: 
Hatch Squat Program Week 7 Day 2
Backsquat- 1x4 @70%, 1x4 @75%, 1x4 @80%, 1x4 @85%

Frontsquat- 1x5 @60%, 1x5 @65%, 2x5 @70%

WOD:

5 RFT
12 Deadlifts
9 OTB Burpees
6 Front Squats @135/93 (same bar as deadlifts)
10 Cal Assault Bike

Extra:
100 Sit-ups
50 Push-ups


On the Menu!

Baked Chicken, Blueberry Muffins, Oven Fajitas, Stew Beef and Chorizo Chili, Crockpot Deconstructed Cabbage Roll Soup, Hard boiled eggs, Veggies, Rice, Roasted Red Skin Potatoes


How I did it:

(less than two hours!)

Muffins were made in the morning for breakfast, with Charlie. :) In the afternoon, I put the chicken in the oven to bake with just garlic salt and pepper. Then I browned the pork and beef for the crockpot and chopped the veggies needed for the recipe (see below.) I added everything to the crockpot and got that going. For the chili I added the beef stew to a large dutch oven and browned it. I chopped the onion while I waited. Added the onion and chorizo next, browned it quickly and added the stew beef back and all of the other chili ingredients- set to simmer 1 hour. I chopped everything for the fajitas and got those in the oven (recipe below.) Then everything else was setting water to boil for the rice and eggs and sauteing the veggies real quick- I am still on my stir fry frozen mix- I am telling you it is a huge time saver!

Blueberry Muffins*

*Changed as of 1/20/2017*
(makes 12 muffins)
- 1 3/4 Cups All-purpose (or gluten free) Flour
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 Tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 Egg
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Milk
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Blueberries, or any berry, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2. In a measuring cup, melt the butter. Add the egg and fill until you reach 1 cup total liquid. Whisk. Add this wet mixture to the dry and gently stir until combined. Add the blueberries and mix gently again. (The consistency is not wet, it is "scoopable" but wetter than a dough would be- if it is not, add a touch more milk)
3. Fill 12, greased, muffin wells 1/2-3/4 full. Sprinkle each with a little more sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool slightly before removing and eating!


Nutrition Facts
Servings 12.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 167
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 5 g7 %
Saturated Fat 3 g13 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 27 mg9 %
Sodium 64 mg3 %
Potassium 35 mg1 %
Total Carbohydrate 28 g9 %
Dietary Fiber 1 g4 %
Sugars 14 g
Protein 3 g6 %
Vitamin A4 %
Vitamin C2 %
Calcium2 %
Iron1 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.




Crockpot Deconstructed Cabbage Roll Soup

(makes 12 2-cup Servings, very generous servings... it just barely fits in my big crockpot so if you have a small, round one you may want to cut the recipe in half! It freezes well though!)

- 1.5 lb Ground Pork
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Cabbage Head, chopped
- 3/4 Cup Rice
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 8 Cups Chicken Stock (or beef), divided
- 4-6 Carrots, chopped
- 4 Cups Trimmed Green Beans (or frozen)
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes (I use fire roasted)
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 tsp Salt+ (taste after cooking)



Brown the pork and beef, drain. Add everything to the crockpot, using only 4 CUPS of stock. Cook on High 5 hours, I stirred mine half way through. When it is finished add the other 4 cups of stock and taste for salt.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 12.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 346
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 16 g25 %
Saturated Fat 6 g30 %
Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64 mg21 %
Sodium 750 mg31 %
Potassium 759 mg22 %
Total Carbohydrate 28 g9 %
Dietary Fiber 6 g25 %
Sugars 9 g
Protein 23 g45 %
Vitamin A98 %
Vitamin C44 %
Calcium10 %
Iron25 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

Oven Chicken Fajitas


- Two Flank Steaks (about 3 lbs total) Marinated overnight in olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice
- 1 lb Chicken (about 2 breasts), cut into thin strips and then in half
- 6 Bell Peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 Sweet Onion, cut into thin strips
- 1-3 Jalapenos, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Arrowroot Powder
- 1 Lime+
- Cilantro (optional)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

1. Add all of the spices and arrowroot powder to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Whisk.


2. Add the vegetables, chicken, and oil. Mix with your hands until everything is coated evenly. 


3. Cut the lime in half and squeeze half over the dish. Nestle the other half in with the vegetables.


4. Bake for 30-35 minutes stirring once half way through. When you pull the dish out of the oven, squeeze the other half of the lime over the mixture and toss. Sprinkle with cilantro (optional).

** I grilled my steak outdoors then added it at this point and tossed everything together ***

No comments:

Post a Comment