Sunday, January 22, 2017

Weekly (home!) Workouts and Meal Prep (Vol. 6)- Baked Chicken, Mixed Berry Muffins, Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, Roasted Mini Potatoes, Jambalaya, Stir-fry Veggies

Wow, I am blown away from the positivity and support I received from my last post. I am so glad I could relate, and put into words, what so many women are feeling. Keep killing it ladies! 

Speaking of hard working moms (and others) I am helping some of my friends with some workouts- all of which can be done at home- the only equipment being used so far is a kettlebell (I am working with what they have)- and the skill level is more that of the average fitness-er (is that a word? Lol. It is now.) I know they have dumb bells so those will be next- if you want to follow along, I can always connect you guys to compare scores! :) And as always, modifying movements is easy if you don't have something or can't do it yet. 



Workouts!

Week 1:
Day 1-
Warm Up- I would suggest air squats, push-ups into downward dog, things to warm up your shoulders and legs, even a short jog
Workout:
Part A- 7 minutes
1 Min Max Air Squats- aim for 45+
1 Min Rest
1 Min Mountain Climbers
1 Min Rest
1 Min Sit-ups
1 Min Rest
1 Min Hollow Hold- for total time- if you can only hold 20 second do 3 sets of :20 sec
3 min Rest into Part B
Part B- Hopefully 13-15 minutes
“Death by Burpees”….I set a timer and start when it reaches “1 minute” that way the number on the timer is always the number you need to do. Do 1 the first minute, 2 the second, 3 the third minute, etc. until failure to complete the reps in a minute. You should never end on a minute--- if you make it through 13 minutes, for example, you should at least do a few in the 14th minute so your score would be 13+ 7 or something. My best is over 19 minutes, the average is probably 12-13 minutes so aim high!
Cool down- maybe a jog?
Day 2-
Warm Up
Workout:
Double Tabata- you can download a special timer or look at a clock… :20 on/:10 off x 8
First 4 minutes- squat jumps
Second 4 minutes- plank hold
--- 3 min Rest –
EMOM (every minute on the minute) 9 minutes Total - when I did this one I subbed 9 Cal on the assault bike and that got spicy! I also did it 15 minutes! Give it a try!
Minute 1: 21 Kettlebell Swings
Minute 2: 15 Goblet Squats
Minute 3: 9 Burpees
Repeat 3x
Day 3-
Warm Up
Workout- your arms will hate you ☺
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Burpees
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Push-ups
First round would be 1 burpee, 10 pushups… then 2 burpees, 9 push-ups, etc.
Workout Part B- leg burner!
10 Rounds
20 Mt. Climber
20 Sit-ups
20 Air squat
20 Lunges
Day 4-
Warm Up
Workout-
7min AMRAP
10 Air squat
10 V-ups
10 Burpee
--- 3 Min rest ---
7min AMRAP
10 Lunges
10 Mt. Climber
10 Push ups

On the Menu!

Baked Chicken, Mixed Berry Muffins, Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup, Roasted Mini Potatoes, Jambalaya, Stir-fry Veggies
Also shown- leftovers from last week... Chop Suey and Crockpot Curry Beef with roasted broccoli


How I did it:



(less than two hours including packing it all away!)

First of all this was super cheap! I got out of the store under $100 and had to buy most of the ingredients aside from the spices, rice and stock. 

As so as I got home I got started getting my crockpot meal going- chopped all my veggies at once- I needed three onions today so I cut them all at the same time, same went for the garlic and peppers. No reason to cut the same vegetables more than once and it'll save time later. I put the onions and what not for other recipes in different bowls so I stayed organized. I also put the chicken in the oven the same time I added it to the crockpot. Done. Once that meal was going, I got to work on my jambalaya (recipe found here.) Since the onion and garlic were cut that was easy and the only thing left to do was the meat. When I added the rice to the pot I also added it to a separate pan just for meals this week- again- no point in getting something out or doing something twice. Next was the stir-fry veggies.... this week I chopped my own instead of the Costco frozen ones I use as my go-to. Always good to mix it up. :) Last, but not least, were muffins! Recipe found here. I subbed frozen mixed berries for the blueberries and reduced the butter and added more milk so I still used 1 cup of liquid. Seriously... if you didn't try these last time you should this time... they are HUGE hit with my friends and family and so easy!

Stir-Fry Veggies

- 1/2 Head Cabbage, chopped
- 1 Sweet Onion, cut in half then thin slices
- 3 Bell Peppers, cut in slices
- Green Beans (a few hand fulls?? Maybe 3 cups?)
- Zucchini and Squash (2 each, cut in slices- Charlie helped that's why they are uneven :)
- 1 Can Sliced Water Chestnuts
- 1 Can Bamboo Shoots

Everything was dumped into a wok over high heat with a drizzle of oil, seasoned with garlic salt and pepper. Tossing occasionally until firm, but tender. 

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

- 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 14.5-oz Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Small, Sweet Onion, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely chopped (seeds removed for less heat)
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 15-oz Cans Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
Pepper and Salt to taste
Toppings- green onion, tortilla chips, avocado, plain greek yogurt (or sour cream), lime wedges


1. Place chopped onion, peppers, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat. Saute 3-5 minutes until soft. While they are cooking, add the chicken, stock, tomatoes, and beans to a slow cooker. 
2. Add the spices to the vegetables. Turn off the heat and add them to the slow cooker. Cook 2-3 hours on low, take the chicken out and shred it (put the lid back on while you are doing this.) Add the chicken back and cook an additional 3 hours.


3. With one hour remaining, add the corn and lime juice. Cook the remaining hour. Serve immediately or this can be frozen or stored for later!

Crockpot Curry Beef


- 2lbs Lean (90%+) Ground Beef
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 Large (or 2 small) Leeks, thinly sliced and rinsed
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 Cup Red Curry Paste (more can be added per your taste)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 2 15-oz Cans Tomato Sauce
- 1 Cup Light Coconut Milk

1. Brown the ground beef over medium heat in a skillet. Drain.
2. Add the beef and everything else except the coconut milk and lime juice (add the zest!) to a slow cooker. 
Cook on low 4-5 hours. Add the coconut milk and lime juice, stir. Let it go another 30 minutes. I ate mine over rice with roasted broccoli... yum!

Chop Suey


This is my Grandma's recipe- which I didn't know until this week- and of course she never wrote anything down so I am going off what I remember and what my mom told me! I ate it a lot growing up so it is comforting to me. You can use chicken or pork. I used pork this week :) 

- 1-2lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, or pork shoulder, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
- 2 Cans Bean Sprouts (or fresh), about 3 cups??
- 1 Can Sliced Water Chestnuts
- 1 Can Bamboo Shoots
- 2 Jars Chicken Gravy- instead of making my own I found a good quality one 
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce

1. In a large pan, saute the onion and garlic and ginger until soft. Add the chicken and cook until cooked through. 
2. Add the gravy and soy sauce and stir. Let it simmer 15-20 minutes. Add the bean sprouts, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. Let it go another 10 minutes. Serve over rice, topped with chow mien noodles (crunchy little brown things!)




No comments:

Post a Comment