Saturday, July 18, 2015

Crockpot Korean Short Ribs

This has certainly been a week for me. Started out super high and ended rather low. But that's the glorious thing about days and weeks... they end and you get to start fresh!

First of all, this week I learned that a sick child who is now potty trained is a completely different ball game when they get diarrhea. Charlie has been sick since last week... I was so excited to get her back after a weekend with her dad, but she came home with a terrible cough that is only in her lungs. She is coughing so hard she is throwing up, she can't sleep, won't really eat and has a low grade fever- all meaning I don't get sleep either. This is making both of us cranky and emotional- we are a fun pair to be around right now. :) I am trying to still play and get out as much as we can so we practiced our handstands in the yard with Henry as our spotter. 



The latest addition to this has been diarrhea- oh. my. goodness. I have to just laugh at this "shit" (hehehe) because most of the time we make it to the toilet but there have been times where we don't and she is standing in my parents' front yard paralyzed because "it" happened and green, runny stinkyness is running down her leg... therefore I have to strip her naked and hose her off. Neighbors must love us. I decided last night it was time for the pull-up diapers to make their appearance again. Because this has been going on so long, and I am afraid of dehydration, I took her to the urgent care clinic. The Dr. said she has all the classic symptoms of pneumonia. Since it has already been 7 days, and although I usually don't give her anything, we are going to attempt medication before exposing her to the radiation of a chest x-ray. Poor little thing. This is not fun. 



Secondly, this week I learned a hard relationship lesson - but I really think I needed to- things appear a lot clearer. When you love someone you want to see the best in them and give them the benefit of the doubt yet again. All the phrases like "love is blind" and "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me," etc. come to mind. I don't get why, in a relationship (especially without children), someone would continually lie/cheat, not be truly happy, and settle for "fine," versus leave, the arguably harder road I know, but take that giant leap of faith knowing that it can be so much better, honestly for everyone involved. As hard as that is to understand, it is not my problem, and I am divorced so I am obviously not afraid of jumping. :) Things tend to work out the way they are supposed to. I decided to get some extra lifting in while she napped because squats help the mind, even when tired, it's a fact.



Both of us will be doing a lot better after some sleep and a new week! Because this week has been so draining I decided to break out the crockpot again. I looked at what meat was on sale and looked at pinterest to see ideas on what to do with it. Short ribs were on sale this week so I grabbed one pack with bone-in and one without- because why not! I didn't know if I would make one recipe or two anyway. Short ribs come from the ribs of a cow and are a little more tender than the pork counterpart. I made some jasmine rice "sushi style" (with vinegar and coconut sugar) to go along with mine... tasty!

Crockpot Korean Short Ribs

- 3-4 lbs Short Ribs (bone-in is best, but without is fine too)
- 6 Dried Pitted Dates
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 tsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 Cup Beef Stock
- 3 Green Onions (scallions)
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 3 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (less if you want less heat)
- 1/2 Lime, juiced (about 1+ Tbsp)

1. Place the ribs on a baking sheet and sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes, turn and do this one more time until browned. You could also do this in a pan.


2. While you are browning the beef... In a high-powered blender, combine everything but the ribs. Blend until smooth. 




3. Place the beef in a slow cooker and pour the sauce over the top. Cook on low 9-10 hours. 

Remove the beef.


Let the sauce settle and skim off the fat. You can thicken it in a sauce pan with a little water and arrow root powder slurry, or just add a cup+ over top of the meat when you serve or store.


Yum.


Stored and ready to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment