Sunday, April 26, 2015

Make-it-Your-Own Breakfast Bake

Here we go again... back to having strength in the schedule. Every week we do a 20 rep backsquat- I am doing this 3x a week because I am terrible at them and, as noted with the open posts, I need to get stronger, badly. I have gone up 20lbs in 1 week- it is completely mental. My friend Amber and I were discussing that it seems to suck about the same as you go up in weight so we might as well go up. She is currently 20 repping my pr... I think that means I need a higher pr. :) I also pr'd my jerk this week- I don't jerk from a rack or block very often, but as you can see from my smile there's a really good feeling that comes from hitting a lift. Like really good. My jerk is not high compared to a lot of people, but as my sister reminds me, "up is up" and as long as it is going up I really can't complain! 
The before and after. 

 This dish was inspired by my frittata few weeks ago combined with something my mom made for Easter- one of those sit-overnight type of egg dishes. Hers was made with the frozen or refrigerated hash browns, I decided to make mine myself. I wanted something that could last me through the week. I can cut this into six, large pieces and it is perfect to heat up and go. I have made two different versions so far- hence "make it your own" but they all start the same way. Enjoy!

HINT! The sweet potato hash browns can be thrown in a pan with a little oil to be crisped up and they become like restaurant hash browns... delish!



Make-it-Your-Own Breakfast Hash

- 12 Eggs, whisked
- 1 Cup Milk (any kind)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and grated
- Salt and Pepper
Toppings of your choice! 

Ham and Egg

- 12-16oz Cooked or Honey Baked Ham diced

Artichoke and Spinach

- 10 oz Frozen Chopped Spinach, thawed and drained
- 14 oz Can Artichoke Hearts, chopped
- Feta (optional)



Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
1. Put the grated sweet potato in a greased, 9x11" glass dish. Bake 15 minutes. 



Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.

2. While the potatoes are cooking, saute the onion in a skillet over medium heat until translucent, 7-10 minutes. Set aside.



3. Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, onions, and your toppings together. Pour over the potatoes. At this point it can be put in the fridge overnight until you are ready to bake it, or can be baked immediately. 



4. Bake 45 minutes-1 hour until the eggs are set. If you are baking from overnight it will take closer to an hour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment