Monday, April 20, 2015

Creamy Curry Broccoli Salad

New week, positive attitude...go!  :) This morning I went to the gym at 6am because I couldn't sleep and was prepared for work already. I usually go into work early on Mondays because Charlie is with her dad, but I figured since I wasn't sleeping anyway, getting a workout in when I normally wouldn't, even that early, was better than none. I usually workout after work when I have eaten several times, hydrated and been on my feet all day, being that I am not used to lifting at 6am, when I do it's harder than normal- weights feel heavy, snatching seems impossible. I didn't have a bad workout, just wasn't great either, but it was definitely more effective than not at all and a positive way to begin a new week! Hardest step is the one out of bed.



This weekend we went to MSU's Small Animals Day. They have all the baby animals out and you can feed them and pet them, milk the cows, hold a baby chick, etc. 



Charlie loves animals so it was a great day for us. Plus I need to start brainwashing her to go to MSU. :)

The idea for this dish came from the abundance of broccoli in my fridge- I buy the big bag at Costco in the produce section. I went with the warmer Thai flavor yellow curry because I wanted something different and personally like curry... if you don't, then add whatever seasoning you like to the mayo... or try a bit first before wasting all of your ingredients on something you don't care for. I bought my yellow curry powder, but you can make it using turmeric (hence the yellow color), cumin, coriander, mustard seed, chili flakes, and ginger (sometimes a pinch of clove)- recipes are all over the internet. It is mild as far as the heat of curry spices go, but makes this dish more unique than typical mayo-dressed broccoli salads. The raisins are also something I distinctly remember from my time overseas in South East Asia, so I added those for some sweetness. I tend to cook nut-free, but salted cashews instead of the sunflower seeds would be yummy in this. 


Creamy Curry Broccoli Salad

(Printable Version)

- 5 Cups Broccoli Florets, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 2 Heads)
- 1/3 Cup Raisins (or cranberries)
- 1/3 Cup Raw or Dry-Roasted Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped (or 1/4 cup Red Onion)
Curry Mayo-
- 2/3 Cup Avocado Oil (or Olive Oil)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp + 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice (divided)
- 3 tsp Yellow Curry Powder
- 1-2 tsp Raw Honey
- Salt and Pepper

1. Cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Add the broccoli, raisins, sunflower seeds, and shallots to a large bowl.


2. Make the Mayo- either in a bowl, or a mason jar, combine the oil, mustard, egg and 2 tsp lemon juice. 


Whisking vigorously or using an immersion blender, whisk or blend until a light yellow mayo is formed. 


Add the curry, honey, 1 Tbsp lemon juice and salt and pepper and mix again.

3. Add the mayo to the broccoli, toss to combine. Taste or salt. Serve immediately or chill and serve later.

Servings 5.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 345
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 31 g47 %
Saturated Fat 3 g17 %
Monounsaturated Fat 20 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37 mg12 %
Sodium 127 mg5 %
Potassium 397 mg11 %
Total Carbohydrate 18 g6 %
Dietary Fiber 3 g13 %
Sugars 10 g
Protein 5 g9 %
Vitamin A13 %
Vitamin C133 %
Calcium6 %
Iron11 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment