Saturday, March 29, 2014

Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

 I am spending my Saturday night cooking because the last workout in the CrossFit open (14.5: 21-18-15-12-9-6-3 thrusters @65 and over the bar burpees) killed my legs and there isn't anything else I am capable of doing tonight. I am also a huge homebody and my therapy for when Charlie is not with me is cooking and CrossFit.

I am in love with raspberries right now. I realize it isn't the season for them in Michigan until June, but they are delicious... and also stupid expensive I know.  I like raspberries in this recipe because the seeds in the fruit help with the texture/crunch of the chia seeds.

"Chia" is Mayan for strength and chia seeds can be used instead of flaxseeds in many recipes. They have a lot of insoluble fiber so they will help your digestive tract "move" if you drink enough water. They also have been shown to curb hunger so spread this jam on some gluten free bread and start your day!
                                 

Raspberry Chia Seed Jam

(printable version)

- 12 oz bag of frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/8 cup Chia seeds
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice (depending on your raspberries)

1. Over medium heat, add the honey and raspberries to a sauce pan. Cook for about 5 minutes until the berries have broken down. Press any pieces against the pan with your spoon.
2. Add the chia seeds and lemon and cook another 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the jam has thickened. 
3. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment