Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Lemon Chia Seed Mini Muffins

First day of school.... everyone is celebrating their kids leaving and moms every where are rejoicing, right? Well not this one. Being that I am a teacher, this means switching gears and leaving my little one in the hands of someone else as I go back to work and spend time with other peoples' children. It isn't that I don't like my job, I wouldn't be able to do it if I didn't, it is just hard leaving my everything after a summer together. I have always said I would work even if I had the option to stay home- so I am not complaining- but that doesn't mean this initial change in routine isn't hard and I don't miss the freedom of my summers. Now food is prepped on Sundays, I spend my time working out alone more often, and all of my tasks around the house must be completed in a different timeline. Here we go... seventh year teaching high school.....


When my mom tried my "Chia Seed Muffins" she said the chia seeds reminded her of poppy seeds... lemon poppy seed muffins are one of my favorite muffins so I thought why not adapt the recipe to copy cat those?! Turns out these little things are super tasty. 



Charlie ate 3 of them in one sitting.... that's a win for me. 

Lemon Chia Seed Muffins

(Printable Version)

(makes 33-35 mini muffins)
- 1 Cup Coconut Flour (do NOT sub other flours)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Ripe Banana, mashed
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Milk (any kind)
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1. Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a large bowl.


2. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs through lemon juice.
3. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients a little at a time and mix as you go so you don't have lumps.

4. Add the chia seeds and stir gently. 


5. Grease a muffin pan really well- pour about 1 tablespoon of the batter into each spot (about 3/4 full). Bake 15-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let them cool completely before removing from the pans. 
  
Nutrition Facts
Servings 33.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 63
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 3 g5 %
Saturated Fat 2 g12 %
Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 34 mg11 %
Sodium 135 mg6 %
Potassium 48 mg1 %
Total Carbohydrate 6 g2 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g8 %
Sugars 2 g
Protein 2 g4 %
Vitamin A1 %
Vitamin C3 %
Calcium2 %
Iron4 %
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment